Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Middle school blues

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM
  • 3 Replies

In my town my kids go to Middle school in 5th grade. Our elementary school is a 'spillover" school meaning kids from 2 sides of town are combined until middle school when they get split up. It took my DD a long time to make close friends in elementary school & now her good friends go to the other middle school! She's not a girly girl, she's not in the popular group & now she's really having a hard time. To make things worse, her best friend of 8yrs was a girl on out street whos in 7th grade & the girl immediately started ignoring my daughter on the bus & at the bus stop probably because she wouldn't be considered cool hanging out with a 5th grader.My heart literally Aches for my little girl!  Advice?

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
SuperLooneyMom
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM
I can't help but sending hugs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Oh, poor girl. Are there any afterschool spots,clubs, activities?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HH6
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I've taught middle school for over 10 years and my own daughter is getting ready to head to middle school.  You would think my experience would make it all OK but it still terrifies me!  :)  Middle school is a rough time for kiddos - they are growing and changing in so many ways and so are their friends.  Here is my advice:

1.  Get her involved in something she enjoys - not  something that she wants to do because all the "cool" kids are doing it but something that truly fits her talents and personality.  

2.  Let her invitte some friends over when she meets new friends.  Discuss what a good friend is with her.  Kids are so influienced by popularity and wanting to fit in at this age but my most successful students (academically and socially) are those who truly seek out good people and are confident in not having to follow the crowd.  When she makes a new friend who is a good friend, encourage that friendship and help it grow by allowing them to spend time together.

3.  Focus on what is good about her, not about what she doesn't have or isn't.  If she is not a girly girl and has no interest in being one, embrace that!  Help her find her interests and embrace who SHE is.  It is tough at this age but students who are happiest are those who are truly developing a confidence in themselves.  I know that is easier said than done but help her develop that confidence by encouraging her in her interests (even if they are not yours) and praising her for what she does well.  Allow her to find a style that is her own. 

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN