Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

If your teen called you from a friends house while you were at work and said.......

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:37 PM
  • 16 Replies

"Mom can you order us a pizza because we are starving and there is no food here?" (translation- none that they like or don't have to do major cooking with) What would you do? Order the pizza or demand that the parents take your teen home?

I ordered the dang pizza LOL. I knew that the parents would have some excuse that they couldn't bring her home and she is hypoglycemic. I couldn't leave work to pick her up and didn't want to ask my extended family. WWYD?

Kim  

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Since mine have never did that, I have no idea. I may have did the same thing you did if my child had her condition.

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:12 PM
if my child had a medical condition like yours does, I probably would've done the same thing. Does she usually carry snacks with her?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bleumonster
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:28 PM
Not usually. She doesn't want to carry them around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katfeemom
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

She doesn't WANT to carry snacks around?  She is old enough to go over someone's house, she is old enough to take responsibility for her health.

Your DD is hypoglycemic, as a result of that, she NEEDS to eat regularly. 

Out of curiosity, if she was a diabetic and decided that she did not want to be bothered carrying her insulin around,(or wearing her pump) would you let her not carry it?

bleumonster
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:34 PM

She hasn't actually been diagnocsed hypoglycemic, she just gets sick to her stomach and very cranky if she doesn't eat. She takes metformin and I do make her carry it with her. She isn't diabetic but has polycystic ovarian syndrome and insulin resistance. If I know she is going to a house where there has been a dearth of food in the past, I do make her take a snack but she was at another girls' house and ended up at this house. She just doesn't carry them on a regular basis because she usually doesn't go that long without a regular meal.

Quoting katfeemom:

She doesn't WANT to carry snacks around?  She is old enough to go over someone's house, she is old enough to take responsibility for her health.

Your DD is hypoglycemic, as a result of that, she NEEDS to eat regularly. 

Out of curiosity, if she was a diabetic and decided that she did not want to be bothered carrying her insulin around,(or wearing her pump) would you let her not carry it?

Kim  

M4LG5
by Valeri on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I would never order pizza without getting permission from the parents or at least talking to them. Actually, I would have them talk to.the parents before calling me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Is it really that difficult for her to carry a snack with her? A package of peanut butter crackers only takes up a tiny bit of space! (That's what my bff growing up always carried with her because she was hypoglycemic, too.) Like a PP said, your DD is old enough to take responsibility for herself. And I would never order pizza and have it sent to someone else's house without the parents' permission. I would feel like I was insulting them, like they couldn't provide food for their kid.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 7 months old

catngabsmom
by Erica on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM
I would do it, but I would also call the parent and tell them "my child did a favor earlier in the week, I promised her a pizza with friends, she is cashing in on it now, pizza will be there in 30, it's paid for already".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katfeemom
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Is it really that difficult for her to carry a snack with her? A package of peanut butter crackers only takes up a tiny bit of space! (That's what my bff growing up always carried with her because she was hypoglycemic, too.) Like a PP said, your DD is old enough to take responsibility for herself. And I would never order pizza and have it sent to someone else's house without the parents' permission. I would feel like I was insulting them, like they couldn't provide food for their kid.

But then the OP admitted that her DD has NOT actually been dx'ed hypoglycemic by anyone in the medical profession.  Just that 'she gets cranky when she doesn't eat'.... Doesn't that happen to most people when blood sugar spikes and drops?

psych_mom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't order the pizza until I talked to the other parents. I would be honest with them about it and not lie either. It's your child, your choice on whether or not you make her carry a snack around- not going to judge you on that. But I will say that the symptoms that you have given for your daughter when she hasn't eaten are not the symptoms for hypoglycemia.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)