Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

If your teen called you from a friends house while you were at work and said.......

Posted by   + Show Post

"Mom can you order us a pizza because we are starving and there is no food here?" (translation- none that they like or don't have to do major cooking with) What would you do? Order the pizza or demand that the parents take your teen home?

I ordered the dang pizza LOL. I knew that the parents would have some excuse that they couldn't bring her home and she is hypoglycemic. I couldn't leave work to pick her up and didn't want to ask my extended family. WWYD?

Kim  

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Replies (11-16):
Barabell
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I don't know what I would do in that situation. All of his friends always seem to have plenty of food in their house, and so it hasn't been an issue. When my son has friends over, I make sure they know what is available to eat if they get hungry. Like on Saturday, my son had a friend over and we didn't have a ton of food since we hadn't gone grocery shopping in a while. Before leaving them at home to go grocery shopping, I explained to them what leftovers, sandwiches, and fruits were available to eat if they got hungry. So even though we were low on food, we still at least had stuff for tuna or PB&J sandwiches. I find it hard to believe that there was NOTHING quick in the house to eat.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM
I have pcos too, and I know how that "starving must eat something NOW" thing can sneak up on you! It's weird, you'll be fine one minute and the next you're so hungry it hurts! In your situation though, I would probably have ordered the pizza after I made sure it was ok with the parents, and I would have told my child that if they couldn't be responsible enough to carry a small snack when going to a friend's house, they weren't responsible enough to visit friends. She may not like carrying something, but it's necessary. I always keep something with me. It can be a pain, but not as much pain as when you get hungry and have nothing to eat. Or give her money that she has earned by doing extra chores or just as a treat when she goes to visit, so that she can treat herself and her friend to pizza, and get an idea of how much pizza really costs when you are using your own money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TempestRayne
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Quoting psych_mom:

I wouldn't order the pizza until I talked to the other parents. I would be honest with them about it and not lie either. It's your child, your choice on whether or not you make her carry a snack around- not going to judge you on that. But I will say that the symptoms that you have given for your daughter when she hasn't eaten are not the symptoms for hypoglycemia.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Diagnosed or not, she knows what will happen if her blood sugar drops. She should be responsible and carry a snack.

Quoting katfeemom:

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Is it really that difficult for her to carry a snack with her? A package of peanut butter crackers only takes up a tiny bit of space! (That's what my bff growing up always carried with her because she was hypoglycemic, too.) Like a PP said, your DD is old enough to take responsibility for herself. And I would never order pizza and have it sent to someone else's house without the parents' permission. I would feel like I was insulting them, like they couldn't provide food for their kid.

But then the OP admitted that her DD has NOT actually been dx'ed hypoglycemic by anyone in the medical profession.  Just that 'she gets cranky when she doesn't eat'.... Doesn't that happen to most people when blood sugar spikes and drops?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rogue35
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM
I would have ordered the pizza.
LucyHarper
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Neither. I would tell my child to stop being rude and eat what is at their house, food is food, they can handle something they don't like for one meal. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)