Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

I'm moving to bi-weekly pay......UGH!!!!!!!

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM
  • 14 Replies

The entire University of California system (all campuses) are moving to a bi-weekly pay.  We are on a monthly pay which is great for us because we pay all of our bills at the beginning of the month and then just plan for food, gas, and other on-going things.  Now, we have to figure out how to deal with the bills since I'm getting paid every other week.  What sucks is that it isn't conistent dates like the 1st and the 15th....it's every other Wednesday so no specific dates. 

I just went to a presentation about it today.  I'm not happy.

How often do you get paid?  If you do get paid bi-weekly, how do you manage it.  We have both been on this monthly pay for years!

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I get paid bi-weekly, without set dates. I guess I'm just used to it. It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, twice a year I get a slightly larger check when I have three paydays in a month because I don't have to pay medical insurance with that 3rd check.

What I do is have two saving accounts attached to my checking account. I put in what I need to cover larger monthly bills in one savings account, and the other savings account is actually used for saving for emergencies. With the "bill" savings account, I transfer a certain amount over once I get paid. I pay a lot of my bills online directly from that particular savings account. My credit union knows to pull from that savings account because it's the primary savings account attached to my accounts.

wenchmommy381
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

My first year teaching I was paid every other week, because the school was not separate from the rest of the staff at the parish. After that it was always the 15th and 30th.

Now I get paid about a week after my PartyLite shows are processed by the home office. The more I do, the more I get paid. 

psych_mom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM

My husband is paid bi-weekly. There are two ways we can budget- first we pay the rent out of the first paycheck and everything else out of the second and when he gets the two extra paychecks a year, most of those can go into savings.

The second thing to do is to set aside 1/2 from the 1st paycheck and 1/2 from the 2nd and then pay everything at the beginning of the month.

We do option one and it works for us. Depending on income it could be tricky. When you have less income and have a higher rent or house payment you have less grocery money (ex. $1100 check with $900 payment) you have to budget the excess from the 2nd paycheck every month to go farther. It isn't as hard when you have more income or if you have a lower rent.

MissyB1011
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM

The general manager at my DH's job thought it would be an AWESOME idea to move payday from Friday to the next Tuesday. If a holiday falls on a Monday, then payday is Wednesday. We had to take money out of savings to cover our auto-pay stuff for a couple of months until we could get everything straightened out. We actually called our bills folks and explained what happened. They were all willing to switch around our due dates to allow for the payday shift.

SuperLooneyMom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Try going from weekly to bi weekly. That was rough
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AnnaNonamus
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM

We get paid bi-weekly. One check is reserved for groceries, mortgage, and student loans. The other check covers the car payment, insurance, phone, gas, electric, cable, and groceries. If a bill isn't due yet, we transfer the money to savings so we have it when needed. 

AnnaNonamus
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM

On weeks when there is a holiday on payday (ie: Thursday is our payday, and it's Thanksgiving about every other year) we get paid a day early. 

cocoroo
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:41 AM
My dh gets paid the 1st and 15th, I think. It might be the 15th and last day of the month. The place I work does payroll on the 16th and the last of the month, so we get paid a few days after that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluedolly01
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:53 AM
I have done both. Bi-weekly on a set day is so much better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I used to have a job that got paid on the 7th and 21st of month.  That was much easier to handle because then I can adjust my bills to specific days.  With bi-monthly and no set days, I will have to really make sure the bills will be due well past possible paydates just so I know.

I think we'll be okay because we have a good savings going but i don't like to get into that too much.

Quoting bluedolly01:

I have done both. Bi-weekly on a set day is so much better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)