Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

2 reasons why I don't do Elf on a Shelf

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm seeing a lot of FB posts about their "Sam" or "Joe" or "Ed" (Elf) and pictures of it and I'm glad we don't do it at home for these two reasons:

1. It's too much effort to remember to move the Elf every damn night.  It's hard enough to remember to get money as the Tooth Fairy or to not fall asleep for the rest of the night before putting out the presents.  haha

2. The elf is just scary.  Looking at the pictures on FB is creepy enough for me.  My daughters have this doll and stood it up in the middle of the hallway and I freaked out.  Now, they think its funny and try to do it to me all the time. 

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mgm_5
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM
I just think it's dumb
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TempestRayne
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:16 PM
I agree with it being scarey.
psych_mom
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM
I think it's just another way for someone to make money off of people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandi185
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM

i guess i'm just weird then, lol.  we "adopted" an elf a few days ago.  my 8 year old son wanted to do it.  we told him, you realize it's a spy right.  it is a bit creepy.  the first morning after we got it i hurried out to move the elf because i had forgot about it the night before and it was gone.  totally freaked me out until i realized dh probably moved it.  i think the creepy factor is what drew dh and myself to it.  we use to make the robosapian walk into our kids rooms after bedtime.  my younger son (8 now) freaks out at this kind of stuff.  one night he went ninja on the robot.  we use to hide big halloween spiders in our older son's bed (now 11) .  of course now our kids do that stuff to us.  we all have fun.  

I use multi-million dollar satellites to find tupperwear in the woods.
What's your hobby?
wenchmommy381
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I've never even heard of Elf on the Shelf! My son read the story at school, but I have no desire to use it... 

mgm_5
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Those were my thoughts, some genius found an easy way to make a quick buck

Quoting psych_mom:

I think it's just another way for someone to make money off of people.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deek843
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I agree! I forget the tooth fairy money every time and I tend to fall asleep before all of the presents are wrapped and the tree ready for the morning! There is NO way I'd remember the darned elf every night! I do however do the advent calendar - 1 chocolate kiss a day but that's cause I got to put all of the kisses in at once!

bunnywzrd
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:01 AM

It's creepy. We don't do it because my youngest daughter has anxiety problems and our home is her safe place. She makes us swear that we won't even let Santa come in the house to bring the gifts in. We have to promise that he will leave them on the porch and we will bring them in in the morning. I think the elf on the shelf would probably permanently damage her. LOL. Not only is he in her home but he is always watching her and he moves around every night. Creepy. I know that a lot of families around here are doing it now.

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM

We don't do it either. I never heard of it until CM, and then last year I saw an Elf on the Shelf kit at Target. The same thoughts about it being a way for retailers to make more money also immediately came into my mind.

Since my son was already in his late tweens the first time I heard about it, he would have looked at me like I had two heads if I had actually suggested this.

Also, we normally get him an advent calendar every December, and he doesn't even remember to eat his chocolate every day. Plus we forget to remind him. So I can't see the effort that the elf requires to work well in our household during the crazy month of December either!!

M4LG5
by Valeri on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM

We don't do an advent calendar but we do have this Santa display that has block numbers so the girls can change it to use as a countdown.

Quoting deek843:

I agree! I forget the tooth fairy money every time and I tend to fall asleep before all of the presents are wrapped and the tree ready for the morning! There is NO way I'd remember the darned elf every night! I do however do the advent calendar - 1 chocolate kiss a day but that's cause I got to put all of the kisses in at once!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)