Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Reading challenge at home.....for money

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM
  • 10 Replies

I don't know if you recall my post a few months back (I tried to find it but couldn't) but I want my kids to have an opportunity to earn money but I don't want it to be through chores.  I have them do something most nights such as clean the table, straighten up the bathroom and clean the countertop, put the dishes away, sweep, or whatever else.  Their reward for doing this is to watch TV.  So, I don't really have problems having them do something.

But I was really stuck on how they can earn money so I created a reading challenge.  For every 100 pages they read, they earn $1.  Of course my 9 year olds 100 pages is different than my 6 year old twins but I figure its all relative because of their reading level. 

It seems like bribing but I have seen a lot of progress.  My oldest will pick up a book much easier for sure.  She reads well and is at and a little above reading level but she would rather do other things instead of read.  Now, she finishes a book within days. 

I have seen the MOST progress with my twins.  The teacher said they were at grade level but I felt they needed more work (it could be that I was comparing them to my oldest).  They are getting through Dr. Suess books like its nothing now.  I'm pushing them to other books with a little harder words and they are doing so much better.  They will read several pages a night and want to add more reading in to get more pages. 

It's not ideal but it works for us.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lorena
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Humm I like this idea! How do they prove that they read 100 pages? I think I might do this to help with there reading they have to read likr 800 a quarter anyway.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Quoting Lorena:

Humm I like this idea! How do they prove that they read 100 pages? I think I might do this to help with there reading they have to read likr 800 a quarter anyway.

I bought each of them a wall decal that can also be used as a dry erase.  With my oldest, she has to count the number of pages and also what page she ended on on her dry erase board.  I may ask her what she read during that time.  I give her my trust.....until she breaks it.

With the twins, my husband and I each take one and listen to them read outloud.  After they are done, we count up the pages and added to the board.

Rogue35
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM
That is a really good idea.
Lorena
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM
I like it im going to talkbto dh and maybe have it set up by the time they get home.

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting Lorena:

I bought each of them a wall decal that can also be used as a dry erase.  With my oldest, she has to count the number of pages and also what page she ended on on her dry erase board.  I may ask her what she read during that time.  I give her my trust.....until she breaks it.

With the twins, my husband and I each take one and listen to them read outloud.  After they are done, we count up the pages and added to the board.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I remember the post. And I am glad that is also helping them reach a higher reading level ontop of the money. i would go broke if I offered this challenge to my boys, lol. They read all the time.

wenchmommy381
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I'm glad it's working for you, and it actually sounds like a good idea. If my kids weren't big on reading, I'd try it.

psych_mom
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Glad that it is working out. I have readers so I too would be out lots of money. Wish my parents would have paid me though. I could have bought a new car when I graduated from high school, lol.

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I'm glad it's working.

embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

That's a great idea! If it's working for you then don't worrie about what other people think. Reading is so important and if they need something to motivate them then do it!

TempestRayne
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Good deal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)