Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

What Would You Do About This Scary Bus Driver Problem? Help!

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM
  • 6 Replies

My DS is 11 years old and in 5th grade. The bus driver that he has had since kindergarten recently retired, and was replaced by a man. Since he started driving the bus, my son has been telling us about some disturbing stuff going on on the bus - the bus driver making one boy cry, calling several kids idiots and even muttering that one child was an [insert bad word] as he got off the bus. My DS was indignant - after all, grown-ups aren't supposed to DO that stuff. Unfortunately, he sometimes gets in trouble, and I didn't want it to turn into a bus driver vs my son type of thing. The bus has video, but no audio, so I wasn't sure what to do.

My son has started to resent this bus driver (who apparently treats the kids poorly), and has stopped doing what he says on the bus. This is a problem, because he's switching seats while they're moving, opening the windows, etc. So, the bus driver called me, then complained to the school in an effort to get him suspended. I had a long talk with my DS and explained to him that life isn't fair. Sometimes, just like with work, people are nasty, but you still have to do what you're supposed to. My DS promised to follow the rules, and the school agreed not to suspend him from the bus this time.

So, today, I get a call from the school. This morning, the bus driver came to them and claimed that, after he dropped my son off, he passed my son and a friend playing further along his route. He said that my son looked at the bus driver and grabbed his crotch. He was adamant that it was my son, and demanded he be kicked off the bus. He said my son has made this gesture at him before.

The problem? My son was in trouble for acting up on the bus AND DIDN'T LEAVE THE HOUSE AFTER GETTING HOME. The bus manager called me herself, and, after I confirmed that he was at home the whole afternoon, said she thought the bus driver might have made it up!

I don't know where to start with why I'm concerned. What kind of twisted bus driver makes something up to get an 11 yo kicked off the bus? And I'm seriously uncomfortable with the fact that he came up with a sexual allegation. Does that say something about him? They said they're going to confront the bus driver, but my son is supposed to ride the bus tomorrow.

What if he makes up something else, or tries to somehow get my son alone? I really think he should be fired, and I'm thinking about calling them and demanding that happen, or that he at least be removed from my son's route. I think I'm well within my rights to do so, but it is right before Christmas. Help? What would you ladies do?

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
psych_mom
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I would voice my concerns to the head of the transportation department and if that doesn't help I would talk to the superintendent of the schools. Is there anyone else that will corroborate what your son has said about how the bus driver is? If so that will help. Do you know any of the other parents on the bus route? If you do and you all present a united front it will probably help.

mary8801
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Make the people at your son's school aware. Whether your son's been in trouble in the past is of no concern here. The guy sounds like a creeper and probably has a whole lot of other issues as well which is also not your concern. Your child's right to safe transportation to and from school is your only concern. You should try to speak to the moms of the other kids that ride that bus and together you can present your case to the people at the school office.  He has no right to touch your son or even yell at him he is just the bus driver. This same thing happened to my daughter at the beginning of the year and I reported him. He was old and from the south and just thought that he could treat the kids however he wanted to. My dtr has hip dysplagia and he would tell her to hurry up the stairs. Etc etc. I was pissed off but then I had enough and reported him. He's better now or so I've heard she does not ride that bus anymore.

Barabell
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Write up everything you can think of. Try to have some documentation now before you forget the details. Write a letter to the head of transportation with your concerns. Appeal to the superindentant if you don't think the head of transportation is taking you seriously.

I want to add at 11 years old, you should also have a talk with your son about being the better person and still following the bus rules. Even if he doesn't like or respect the bus driver, it doesn't mean he shouldn't follow the safety rules. Plus, if this driver is out to get him, he needs to know that he has to be careful not to add fuel to the fire.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM
I agree with the other ladies. And I would make sure your son has a cell phone, even if it has no service he can still call 911 if he needs to, and also make sure that he knows how to use the video camera on it. Tell him to record some of the stuff that's going on, but to try not to let the driver know he's doing it, just make it look like he's playing a game on the phone. Then when he has a few videos, take that evidence into whoever is in charge and demand his dismissal, or at least removal from your son's bus route.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
harehelper
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I aggree with what others have said. Talk to the moms of the other kids that ride this bus with your son and get verification that other kids have said similar things about this driver as your son has, and make usre those moms will be willing to back up your story too. Then go to the transportation department AND the school superintendant with this information. Let them know you DO NOT feel safe with this man driving your kids around and DEMAND that something be done about it! I would be very worried myself, is there a monitor on the bus so that the driver cannot get alone with your son or any of the other kids?

TempestRayne
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Quoting harehelper:

I aggree with what others have said. Talk to the moms of the other kids that ride this bus with your son and get verification that other kids have said similar things about this driver as your son has, and make usre those moms will be willing to back up your story too. Then go to the transportation department AND the school superintendant with this information. Let them know you DO NOT feel safe with this man driving your kids around and DEMAND that something be done about it! I would be very worried myself, is there a monitor on the bus so that the driver cannot get alone with your son or any of the other kids?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)