Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

My son's chorus concert- disappointing.

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM
  • 19 Replies

The other night my son had his first middle school chorus concert and we so excited to go. It was a huge let down. We had to fight for parking, walk forever in the cold to get to school, stand behind a bunch of other people to hear him be part of two songs and then leave. Instead of all three grades performing all the songs together, they now do their own songs and the 6th grade boys were only part of the two of three songs the 6th graders were allowed to sing. It was a huge waste of an hour of our time and $20 for a chorus shirt.

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TempestRayne
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Sorry: ( only two or three songs seems....a waste of time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Really poor planning by the choir director. I'd try to brain storm some ways to improve the situation and then email the concerns and some possible ideas to solve them to the choir director.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Quoting Barabell:

Really poor planning by the choir director. I'd try to brain storm some ways to improve the situation and then email the concerns and some possible ideas to solve them to the choir director.

I agree.  That's too bad.

Even though I wish the school did have performances at night, they have gone to performances during school hours and they have different times for each grade (just the lower ones) so they don't overlap and parents can see their kids.

psych_mom
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:24 PM

The bad part is, up until this year it was held at a local church that is 5 minutes from the school that has enough parking and enough seating to accomodate everyone, but this year they decided to have it at the school instead. They knew that it wasn't large enough to accomodate everyone and not all of the parents and family could see, but they did it anyway.

Quoting Barabell:

Playitagain
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I have that feeling with my daughters concerts. I was actually told by a friend who teaches at the school, to arrive 2 hours prior to a concert for any chance at parking and a seat. 

wenchmommy381
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I'm sorry to hear that... we had a great set of concerts this morning. 

Why $20? Is that your son's participation fee? Or did you actually have to pay admission?

Barabell
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Do you know why they changed locations? Was there a falling out with the church? That just doesn't make sense to hold a concert in a location too small. Very odd.

Also, I was curious why the shirts cost so much. Usually school shirts here cost $10 to $15. I hope a lot of it goes back into the program at that price.

Quoting psych_mom:

The bad part is, up until this year it was held at a local church that is 5 minutes from the school that has enough parking and enough seating to accomodate everyone, but this year they decided to have it at the school instead. They knew that it wasn't large enough to accomodate everyone and not all of the parents and family could see, but they did it anyway.

Quoting Barabell:

GotSomeKids
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM

That's unfortunate, but I would just try and support him.  My son had his first choir concert in October.  We spent over $100 between the "school tie" and the "required uniform" for the concerts.  We also had to fight for parking (the school populations here are huge and we NEVER have enough parking), wait outside for 20 mins (it was 30 degrees out) stand in a hallway for 30 mins while they warmed up, sit in the back of the auditorium and only heard three songs.  

But, you know what.  He was so proud of himself.  So, that was enough of a trade-off for me.  We did almost the same  (minus the money) this past weekend when they did a concert at Barnes and Noble.  I had to literally crouch down between two parents (we thought it was amusing) in order to snap a few pics.  But, once again, my son had a lot of fun and that's what is really about.

GotSomeKids
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:18 PM

At my sons school (performing arts/challenge academy) there is a $20 music fee, $18 for the tie and then we have to make sure he has a white button down dress shirt, black dress pants and black dress shoes.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Why $20? Is that your son's participation fee? Or did you actually have to pay admission?

psych_mom
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM

The $20 was for a shirt for him to wear for the 2 songs. Why couldn't they just wear a regular white polo shirt if they weren't going to perform more than 2 songs?

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)