Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think that it is possible that someone can know too much?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:44 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am just wondering... I am an intelligent person and once I learn something, it is not often that I forget it and I feel that others may be annoyed because of this- such as my siblings and when anyone I know has a question the response is always "ask Stacy, she always knows the answer". So do you think that it is possible for someone to know too much? And if so, how do they stop knowing it or do you think it is something they should hide? Or should they just embrace it as who they are?

I asked in here because we aren't really friends, more of aquaintences so I know that you ladies will be honest with me and I appreciate that. And all of you are intelligent as well so I know that I will get considerate, intelligent answers.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mommy4000
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:47 PM

No lol. I don't feel learning should ever stop and I find it refreshing when I run into someone who has as vast knowledge as I do. I think the way you present the knowledge you have is what's important. I don't always have to be the one to answer something, and I try not to correct people unless directly asked. You don't have to hide your knowledge, but you also don't always have to be the know-it-all.

movieq
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Quoting Mommy4000:

No lol. I don't feel learning should ever stop and I find it refreshing when I run into someone who has as vast knowledge as I do. I think the way you present the knowledge you have is what's important. I don't always have to be the one to answer something, and I try not to correct people unless directly asked. You don't have to hide your knowledge, but you also don't always have to be the know-it-all.

I agree with this.  I think that even when you know the answer that it's good to let people work through some things as well without you telling them exactly what to do.  Presentation is key.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I am a college advisor and I teach this workshop called "Mindset" which really focuses on effort to learn and retain.  I let them know that we need tools to learn and understand things and a lot of these tools are things like time management, critical reading, note-taking, and other study skill strategies.  I also mention that everything is a process and not to define yourself by grades. 

Focusing on effort is going to be critical in order to stay motivated for learning.  Those can see things once, learn it once, or heard about it and retain it immediately is a very small percentage of people.  The rest of us will need effort.

You are just very lucky to have that ability to retain it the first time without having to add the skills it will take others to use to retain it.  There is no such thing as "knowing too much" in my opinion because you don't know everything but what you did learn, you have been able to retain.

I think everyone has a special talent or ability to do things that others don't do as well.  I KNOW I'm a good youth sports coach.  I know how to keep it fun, keep the player motivated, and also teach them soemthing they didn't know before. 

Barabell
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I might have a good perspective to your question because I have one sister that acts like a know-it-all. It's not that she remembers everything that bothers me, but it's the fact that she cannot be wrong....even if she is actually wrong. In addition, she will hold grudges forever....even if it's based on a misperception. It's very hard for me to deal with because I try hard to let things go over time. I don't want to hang on to emotional baggage like that.

I know you have a great memory, but I don't think you rub it in people's faces. It's very different. I wouldn't mind someone remembering everything as long as they aren't smug about it.

jaytee
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:08 PM
I think the more you know the better. As long as you don't have a " ha ha" attitude about it, Kwim?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Thank you all not your honest and insightful feed back. I don't try to rub my intelligence in others faces although when someone tries to act like I'm stupid (unfortunately this seems to be an issue with male population where I live) I won't hesitate to correct them. My intelligence was always a challenge to my ex husband which I find amusing because he made it a completion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:01 AM
I don't think you can ever have too much knowledge...I do believe you can alienate the hell out of people with phrases that start with ""Actually..." " You mean..." And " I think you've been misinformed"

I say things wrong, but it's usually close enough that my family should be able to follow my train of thought, yet my thirteen yr old "Sheldon" AND my husband are prone to correcting my verbiage when I KNOW they understood what I said.
That part is really rude and can feel disrespectful .
Go! Learn! Think! Study! However, don't correct, if you are the type that does, because it irritates the hell out us closest to you....especially when we've said what you are saying, in a less perfect way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I have learned not to correct others unless what they are saying is completely out there and no where near what is actually the truth, and then I only give them the true information when I can back it up. I don't correct the way people speak and things of that nature because I know how irritating it can be and I know that different people word things differently so I don't let that bother me either.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

I don't think you can ever have too much knowledge...I do believe you can alienate the hell out of people with phrases that start with ""Actually..." " You mean..." And " I think you've been misinformed"

I say things wrong, but it's usually close enough that my family should be able to follow my train of thought, yet my thirteen yr old "Sheldon" AND my husband are prone to correcting my verbiage when I KNOW they understood what I said.
That part is really rude and can feel disrespectful .
Go! Learn! Think! Study! However, don't correct, if you are the type that does, because it irritates the hell out us closest to you....especially when we've said what you are saying, in a less perfect way.

kmrtigger
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I think you should embrace it. I find it's a great quality to have in a person. My husband reminds me of you  alot of the times. He retains a ton of stuff. I cal him my human sponge.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)