Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New School Policy (piog)

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM
  • 12 Replies

Our superintendent sent out an email this morning outlining a new security procedure for all schools. It used to be, all outside doors were locked except for the one to the lobby/office. Starting today, that one will be locked, too, and a number to call to be let in will be posted on the front door.

Now, I have no problem w/ having to do that. My thing is, how much safer is that really going to make things? These are glass doors. I know the district needed to do something to reassure parents their kids are safe in our schools, but is locking a glass door really going to deter someone angry enough and determined enough to get in and hurt/kill people?

Idk, maybe I play devil's advocate too much. . .

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I agree with you. If someone really wants to get in and they have a gun, a lock isnt going to stop them.

wenchmommy381
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Schools don't have money to send kids on educational field trips and buy new textbooks or upgrades in educational technology, so why should we be surprised that they cannot afford security upgrades as a real response to violent events?

The schools in my town have quite good security, despite the semi-open campus of the HS. That's because the Superintendent fought tooth and nail to get federal grants to pay for the necessary assessments and resources to be that secure. 

M4LG5
by Valeri on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Our school is doing the same thing but here is my thoughts......the hope is to at least buy some time for the teachers to react to do something to protect the kids. 

tiredmama42
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I dont think it will stop someone if they are crazy enough to break windows etc.  But from the kids view points they probably feel safer knowing the doors are locked.   My son used too. The school counselor walked him around and showed him the doors were locked and assured him he was safe.  At least it helped him relax.

wenchmommy381
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Quoting M4LG5:

Our school is doing the same thing but here is my thoughts......the hope is to at least buy some time for the teachers to react to do something to protect the kids. 

For all the planning schools have done where I have worked, only when I worked in the HS in my town did I get anything close to emergency training. I had a bomb threat form-- in case someone called in a threat, I knew what questions to ask in order to buy time and get info for the police. I had detailed plans and directions for different lockdown situations.

The only thing I was never prepared for was the overwhelming apathy of the students I was working with. Very disheartening. 

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
mommadana
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not a perfect solution, but I agree, it will buy a little time as the glass would have to be broken and then the door opened.  Even a few seconds is better than no warning until they are in the office or halls.  If you think of a better solution, the school boards are usually open to a suggestion.  Maybe putting out a notice for voluteers through the parents for those that are military or work for a public safety organization could take rounds standing guard at the doors or eat lunch with their kids on their days off.  Good luck!

SuperLooneyMom
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM
The Oakland unified school district has wires within the glass on all doors. The high schools are gate locked during school hours and most schools have a security guard or two. My kids have since transferred districts and security is not the same but I trust my kids teachers and leadership. No system will ever be perfect and I wouldn't expect it to be. I just hope our school staff and other persons would take great cautions during any possible emergency. Whatever it may be
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:55 PM

With all things, one small change is better than none. Maybe when budget allows they will replace the glass doors with something better. I personally think all schools should have bullet proof windows and doors. But I also know how costly that is.

Jessica198027
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Plus a number to call? What if a parent does not have a cell phone to call while standing outside? Then what? How will they get in? Not all people have cell phones. Or what if they lost their phone and did not know it til they got there and it was in the middle of the day and no other parent was around to be calling to the office as well?

GotSomeKids
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I don't know.  I've been to schools that have these security locks and schools where you can just mosey on in.  Thing is, none of our schools have been attacked, so I wouldn't know how much safer it would be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)