Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

How Do You Deal With Bullying?

Posted by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM
  • 4 Replies

Mom Arrested for Threatening Middle School Bullies With a Gun

Posted by Maressa Brown

monica avilaMiddle school bullies are reality parents of pre- and young teens are painfully aware of. So, to hear that a Denver girl may have been getting bullied by a group of girls in her class is, sadly, not all that unusual. But the way her mother allegedly attempted to deal with the issue sure as hell was. And what she did last week is enough to send chills up any parent's spine.

Last Thursday afternoon, 34-year-old Monica Avila reportedly drove into the parking lot at Lake Middle School in Denver, Colorado and confronted four girls, ages 13 and 14, according to an arrest document. After arguing with the girls about bullying, she pulled out a black semi-automatic handgun and said, "Look what I have." What the ...?!

Then, Avila allegedly then drove out of the parking lot and parked across the street, as the girls told adults about what happened and called 911.

Can you believe this woman?! Her actions would have been seen and treated as totally inappropriate any day ... but hearing that this happened just a day before the Sandy Hook tragedy and our current national conversation on gun control makes it even more horrifying.

Thankfully, law enforcement intervened and arrested Avila, charging her with four counts of felony menacing and one count of possession of a weapon on school grounds (also a felony).

To be fair, so many parents have been in Avila's shoes at one point or another, faced with their child battling merciless bullies on a daily basis. But what Avila allegedly did last week to stand up for her daughter and put an end to her suffering at school sounds like the last thing she should have done to handle the situation. Just about any other tactic -- calling the girls' parents to discuss, calling the principal or a guidance counselor, setting up a time to diplomatically discuss the issue one-on-one with the girls themselves, even telling her daughter to fight back -- would have been better than catching the teens off guard and brandishing a semi-automatic weapon. For crying out loud!

That said, if the incident really did go down as documentation states, something's not right with this mom. Hopefully, the court handling her case will do what they can to ensure that no student (her daughter included) or parent has to worry about completely crazy threats or behavior like this in the future.

How unnerving is this?! If your child has ever been bullied, how did you address the situation?

by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Barabell
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I haven't dealt with an extreme circumstance. 

If my son was being bullied, I'd start with contacting the school administration.

Jazmyn1
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:53 PM
My son was being bullied and i talked to everyone teacher principal superintendant and counseler and no one helped ...we moved
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I have handled it by role playing with my child on what to do in that situation. I also informed the school via teacher and Principal. IF it continues (due to these girls being in high school and bullying a 3rd grader), I will be contacting the police department next.

Morrigan333
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Schools don't want to get involved. My girl has been bullied for 4 yrs. I took her out in 4th gr and homeschooled for 2 yrs. When she re-enetered public school(the same district she attended in 4th gr) the bullying continued into the school. She got bullied during the summer before 6th gr. The dumb Arse school officials are afraid to hurt other parents' feeling over their bully ass kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN