Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

easy lunches kids can make

Posted by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 1:15 PM
  • 43 Replies

I've been very remiss and haven't taught my kids to be independent.

Now that they are 11 the fact that they will shortly be able to stay at home by themselves for longer periods of time is staring me in the face I'm starting to panic.

They don't know how to cook anything for themselves.  Sure they can make a sandwich or pour a bowl of cereal but I've never let them handle the stove, microwave or toaster.

I need to start working on this. What do your kids make by themselves?  Simple suggestions only please!

by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Ramen, reheat leftovers, oatmeal... as I think of other things I'll post them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wenchmommy381
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 5:42 PM
3 moms liked this

I think the first thing you'll want to teach them to use is the timer. That way, you can start teaching them how long things should be on the stove or in a toaster oven/conventional oven. Fires happen when food gets forgotten. (microwaves have a timer built into the process)

KRIZZ25
by Member on Dec. 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM
MY 11 YEAR OLD CAN MAKE WAFFLES,EGGS,CAKES,ALL THAT EASY STUFF ..
KRIZZ25
by Member on Dec. 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM
I TELL EM U HAVE TO CLEAN BEFORE U CAN COOK..SO I TEACH EM HOW TO CLEAN THE WRIGHT WAY .AND SAFETY IN THE KUCHEN ..
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Dec. 22, 2012 at 5:58 PM
5 moms liked this

My boys ( 9, 10, and 11) can cook:

Pasta dishes, waffles, grilled cheese, heat soups, scramble eggs, make hotdogs, bake a pizza in the oven, or pizza pockets. Bake chicken nuggets and fries. They can reheat a bunch of pre-made meals in the microwave that I make and freeze. They can make mac n cheese. They know how to toss a bunch of different things into the crock pot to make a meal.

They can bake a cake, cupcakes, cookies, pies and brownies.

I have been teaching my boys how to help in the kitchen since they were 2 years old. One of the first things they could read was a recipe.

I am going to assign different meals for this summer to be made by each kid. I work during the summer and hubby is home with them. But I want them to cook the meal from start to finish. I think this will help out a bunch.

Mrs.McCartney
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Teach them how to used the microwave so they can warm left overs , popcorn, TV dinners , and to warm up soup's , raviolis ,pizza rolls " much more.. - Oh yea show them what dish that r safe for the microwave  and it will tell u under the dish, Keep sandwich meets , keep bread and milk, Creole's  around   I hope this will Help you a littile more !  Oh yea do show them how to use the timer that's important !

HaileysMom07180
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 11:31 AM

my dd is 6, she knows how to make her own toast, microwave popcorn, make a sandwich and bowl of cereal and we have a cupboard at her level full of things she's allowed to make and eat by herself.

vinalex0581
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM

i've never known an 11 year old to be able to bake a cake.

my son is 7 and he doesn't even know how to work the microwave.

i think that i need to start showing him around the kitchen more.

he told me that there are kids in his class that all ready cook dinners for their family.

my SO was cooking meals at the age of 6.

*scratching head* i think i did something wrong.

shyannsmomma
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM

LOL! My dd is 7 and she can cook anything that goes in the microwave, she can also make grilled cheese on the stove and toast in the toaster

Quoting vinalex0581:

i've never known an 11 year old to be able to bake a cake.

my son is 7 and he doesn't even know how to work the microwave.

i think that i need to start showing him around the kitchen more.

he told me that there are kids in his class that all ready cook dinners for their family.

my SO was cooking meals at the age of 6.

*scratching head* i think i did something wrong.

AnnaNonamus
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 12:45 PM

My kids make ramen, Mac n cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, scrambled eggs for my 10 and 13yo's, and scrambled, fried, and omlets for my 16yo. All of them know how to make TV dinners, soup, and cold stuff- sandwiches, cereal, etc. 16 yo also can prepare a full meal of spaghetti, hamburger helper, mashed potatoes, French fries, cupcakes, cookies, snack mix (check mix, oyster cracker mix), rice, etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)