Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Share Your Solutions: Talking to Your Son About Puberty

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:15 PM
  • 9 Replies

It can be tough to think about how your little boy will be growing up, but it’s good to help prepare him for the changes he will go through. But what do you say to him? How did you, or will you, talk to your son about puberty and the changes his body will go through? 

Please share your experiences and tips here!

To see some of the most helpful answers from CafeMom members on this topic, visit this Advice page: How can I talk to my son about changes to his body?  

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
STARRYVONN
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a book just for boys, its all about puberty well put for tweens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM
just tell him his body is changing. and its ok..he will have feeling and stuff .i found it u just give the a little info at a time it works out better.
wenchmommy381
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Quoting STARRYVONN:

Title, please?

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
wenchmommy381
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I'm letting my husband take the lead on this. My oldest son is just like him, so they can relate on a deeper level. 

Barabell
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Quoting wenchmommy381:

I'm letting my husband take the lead on this. My oldest son is just like him, so they can relate on a deeper level. 

This is what I did, but I made it clear to my son that he could talk to me too. My son is just like my husband also, and they're really close. So I wasn't surprised when my son said he perfers to talk to his dad about it.

STARRYVONN
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Its called "what's happening to me?" Its a blue book. Everything boys need to know about their bodies, shaving, excercise, how girls & boys differ. You should read it first. And then introduce the book to him. I have one just like it for girls (for my daughters). Wish they had books like this when I was their age. Good luck.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Quoting STARRYVONN:

Title, please?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM

This isn't a one time talk. It's a series of on going conversations.

elkmomma
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:45 AM

There's a ton of books for them.  Mine came home from school with a little info booklet and he reads it often.  He also asks questions all the time (even before the booklet).  I try to answer him age appropriately, but truthfully.  We use correct terms and try to reassure him that he's as normal as the next boy when it comes to changes with his body.

pattya925
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:20 PM

My mom just bought my son (age 10) a book and we have been reading a few pages each night.  I told him he could choose how we went about it - either he could read and come to me with questions, or we could read the sections that looked interesting right now, or we could read it front to back.  He picked front to back.  It's prompted some interesting discussions already... lol, my favorite quote: "I better not turn into some sort of gorilla man!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN