Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This mama had to take some drastic steps this past weekend.

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM
  • 12 Replies

A few weeks ago I told my boys that we were going to go through all of their things in their room and donate some toys and clothes. My 10 year old took this as an invitation to go into his room and dump out all their toys, clothes and everything in the world that they own. I tried and tried to get him to clean it up and he would only go in there and pick at it. My oldest would do some but he didn't make the mess.

The Sat before Christmas our landlord had to come over. He saw the room (trust me, I was already embarrassed about it, but I do have other things that I have to take care of, my boys room isn't the only room in the house and the house isn't the only thing in my life- full time school, wife, kids, etc). He told us that if isn't cleaned up he would evict us- we have made it known all along that we want to buy this house, and there is no way we were going to let our kid get us kicked out, plus the rest of the house was clean!

I had already made it clear to them that since they were out of school, enough was enough- I was fed up and the room was to be cleaned or the 10 year old wasn't getting Christmas. After the landlord left, I told him no video games, no leaving the house or anything until it was clean. I told his dad and his grandparents what was going on and they all agreed and took his Christmas away as well (I know, not very nice, but he had to get the point that it had to be done). My oldest got to cleaning immediately even though he didn't make the mess. He loves this house and doesn't want to move.

The 10 year old was still dragging his feet. On Sunday he took 4 hours to clean out from under his bed and night stand. He would come tell me it was done and he still had several things under each. I couldn't even feed them lunch because I said we couldn't leave the house and I couldn't go back on my word because I know my son was testing what I said by not doing what I told him too. He likes to test his boundaries and I can't let him push one or he will push them all.

Sorry this was so long.

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wenchmommy381
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:57 PM
3 moms liked this

I call this a parenting win.

"A child's job is to push the envelope; the parent's job is to keep that damn envelope closed."

psych_mom
by Stacy on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Thank you! I have to be honest- I didn't feel one bit bad about it either. I figured if he got hungry enough he'd get the job done. The strange thing is, the other two never complained of being hungry at all during the day.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

I call this a parenting win.

"A child's job is to push the envelope; the parent's job is to keep that damn envelope closed."

M4LG5
by Valeri on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:29 PM
We gotta do what we gotta do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Glad you stuck to your guns -- -knowing how hard it must have been

brandi185
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:51 PM

your kids are lucky.  when my cousin and i refused to clean our room our grandma and my aunt came in while we were at school and threw away everthing on the floor that wasn't clothes or school stuff.  she really threw it away.  my cousin and i got home from school that day and saw several trash bags on the curb for trash pick up the next day.  in my defense most of the mess was my cousin.  my cousin had even left dirty dishes under her bed.  needless to say though, we didn't leave our room a mess ever again.

my kids permanently lost their xboxes.  they each had one because we don't have cable and they can watch netflix and hulu on their xboxes.  they are only allowed a couple hours at a time to play video games but they are allowed to watch tv pretty much whenever because they don't ever just sit and watch it.  they're usually playing while the tv is on.  anyways, so the other morning i caught them early (i woke up with a stuffy nose) like 5:00, playing a video game and using the iphones we were going to give to them but hadn't been fully set up yet.  i made them turn it all of and go back to bed.  then when my dh woke up we talked about it and decided they couldn't have the xboxes anymore.  this wasn't the first time we'd had a problem.  they've been taken away and given back several times over the last year or so.  so now they can only play their games on the main xbox.  we're going to make them share a bedroom and turn one of their rooms into a playroom and they'll get a smart bluray player.

Emeraldmama7
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Good for you sticking to your guns!  I only had to bring out the trash bags once when my oldest 5 were younger and they learned their lessons!  They know not to tick me off when it comes to a clean room...and I'm the crazy kind of mom that won't allow them to just shove things out of sight.

But, am I the only one who thinks it is absolutely ridiculous of a landlord to evict you over ONE room, especially being a room for two boys????   I'm the kind of person that likes a clean and uncluttered home, but come on!  There is a difference between messy and dirty!!! 

Jessa, mama to my 7 lucky charms!!!  I have 3 girl tweens, two adolescent boys, a toddler and an infant!  And I've only lost just a few screws!  =D

kblpooh
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:35 PM
Good for you! I just went through this today with my girls. I gave them specific things that needed to be cleaned today and then next weekend they need to finish the rest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I think it's great that you stuck to what you told them. Hopefully it stays clean or managable from now on.

supermomz25
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I don't have to worry about this with my 12 year old son, but my almost 11 year daughter on the other hand...she hates cleaning up her mess. she whines and cries and carries on. I told her either clean it up or I will do it and you will not like it when I am done. so she cleans, crying the entire time, but she does it.

psych_mom
by Stacy on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:53 PM

My husband told my 10 year old if it ever gets out of control again there will be a matress and a blanket in their room for each of them and that is all because he will take everything out of the room.

Quoting supermomz25:

I don't have to worry about this with my 12 year old son, but my almost 11 year daughter on the other hand...she hates cleaning up her mess. she whines and cries and carries on. I told her either clean it up or I will do it and you will not like it when I am done. so she cleans, crying the entire time, but she does it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)