Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

10 year old staying home alone. (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

I've been looking for a job for a really long time now  and up until now I've done it the old fashioned way. going into places and applying or calling from the news paper but I decided today to try craigslist.   I applied for 6 so far.  Keep fingers crossed i find one soon.

With that said-  When i do get a job it will most likely be during the day.  My skillset is more of a 9-5 type.  whcih means my 10 year old will be home alone a cpl days a week for like an hour and half.  a lil concerned about that.  Would you let your 10 year old stay  home alone.

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Replies (11-19):
wenchmommy381
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I just went and looked it up-- NJ doesn't have a set age, but they do have criteria for a parent to use in order to decide if a child can be home alone. 

Quoting Barabell:

Yup. If they didn't, then what guidelines would CPS follow?

Our county laws are pretty long, and it seems like a lot of it is left up to the judgment of the parents. I remember there being a lot of exclusions if a child is not mentally or physically capable at 8 or 9 to be left at home alone.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

They legislate these things? Wow...

If all I had was a 10-year-old, that would be one thing. My son is probably old enough to handle it. But he has 2 younger brothers and a baby sister. If I'd take one, I'd take them all. 

Good luck with your job search! (Might a part-time job be enough? Then this wouldn't be an issue.)

Quoting diaperstodating:

Yes I would, and I have. (The legal age to stay home alone in my state is 8).
Good luck in your job search!

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
Msgme
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Thats how NY is too.   I was able to find a check list to see if she was ready and according to their list she'll be fine  lol

Quoting wenchmommy381:

I just went and looked it up-- NJ doesn't have a set age, but they do have criteria for a parent to use in order to decide if a child can be home alone. 

Quoting Barabell:

Our county laws are pretty long, and it seems like a lot of it is left up to the judgment of the parents. I remember there being a lot of exclusions if a child is not mentally or physically capable at 8 or 9 to be left at home alone.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

If all I had was a 10-year-old, that would be one thing. My son is probably old enough to handle it. But he has 2 younger brothers and a baby sister. If I'd take one, I'd take them all. 

Good luck with your job search! (Might a part-time job be enough? Then this wouldn't be an issue.)

Quoting diaperstodating:

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Our state doesn't have any guidelines, and I don't think most do. CPS is run by the county here, and so I had to look at our county website.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Quoting diaperstodating:

tiredmama42
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM

My son who will be 11 was home alone for a half hour each day after school.  We had rules to follow and that was he called me as soon as he got in the house and I reminded him to lock doors.  He was to do his homework and have a snack but no cooking.  It worked out well. I am lucky enough to have a job where I can take that call daily though.  

Jazmyn1
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:36 AM
When my son was 9 he would stay hm for an hrin the morning before school when i went to work. Wr lived in an apt and he could go the neighbor if need be. It didnt last long tho he doesnt like staying alone hes 10 now
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catngabsmom
by Erica on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this

i could trust both of my girls (9 and 11) to be home alone, just not home alone together!!!

TempestRayne
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM
You would have to check your cps guidelines. KY daughter is ten and she stayed home alone for a few minutes while I went and picked her brother up from school. She came home early, not feeling well, so I told her she could stay if she wanted. We went over all the safety rules, I gave her my phone and reminded her where the emergency numbers are. I also reminded her of the 911 script I have written out for her And her brother.
WandaSue
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM

same thing

Quoting Barabell:

We started letting my son stay home alone for 30 to 60 minutes at age 10. He demonstrated to us that he was mature enough, and we didn't go too far from home.

We did check the county laws in our area, and it was legal. Not sure what the laws are in your area, and so it's a good idea to double check them before being offer a position.

Good luck on the job hunt!!

mary8801
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Depends on how responsible he/she is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)