Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Junior High Fears

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:00 PM
  • 17 Replies
This upcoming fall my daughter is going to be starting 6th grade in junior high and she is scared to death. She's afraid of the idea of using a locker, having so many teachers, being at the bottom of the "barrel", doing PE in the cold fog, she scared of going to the orientation prior to school starting, she's upset that her older brother is going to have a bigger "status" than her. She says she doesn't want to go and I tell her that she has to because it's the law. She is also scared that something that happened in Newtown, CT will happen at her school and she also saw on the news that armed guards positioned at some schools now and that scares her too. She is going to a psychologist and we are going to bring this situation up next time she goes in and hopefully she can get some comfort.
Are any of your kids going into junior high scared too?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Sounds like she has some major anxiety issues over this change.  Bringing it up with her psychologist is a really good idea.  My oldest son started middle school (6th grade) this past fall with no major worries or problems.  He didn't even begin to express any concerns until a few weeks prior to school starting this past fall and we talked about his fears and possible solutions if those fears should come to fruition.

supermomz25
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:27 PM
She has already been diagnosed with anxiety, hoarding issues and having an addictive personality. She is extremely anxious about a lot of things and her psychologist has been a great help. I know that she will be okay, but I just feel bad that I can't just wave a magic wand and make everything better. This is one thing that "mommy kisses" cannot fix.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Sounds like she has some major anxiety issues over this change.  Bringing it up with her psychologist is a really good idea.  My oldest son started middle school (6th grade) this past fall with no major worries or problems.  He didn't even begin to express any concerns until a few weeks prior to school starting this past fall and we talked about his fears and possible solutions if those fears should come to fruition.

mjande4
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Is your daughter involved in any extra curricular activities? If not, she needs to be. This will not only help her gain some self-confidence, but it will assist in a smooth transition to junior high.

supermomz25
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Not yet, but we are encouraging her to join clubs and try out for things. We are trying to be as positive as possible.

Quoting mjande4:

Is your daughter involved in any extra curricular activities? If not, she needs to be. This will not only help her gain some self-confidence, but it will assist in a smooth transition to junior high.

tiredmama42
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Honestly understandable.  I would be scared going to school anymore.   Due to some issues from a few years ago my DS went thru some anxiety issues too with school.   The school social worker took him around the school assuring him that the doors were locked etc.  She also had a weekly visit with him during school hours and checked in on him throughout the day.  It helped us alot and am very thankful for her time she took to make him feel more comfortable.  Maybe you can set your daughter up with the school social worker who could do the same for your DD.

Babujai
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM

My tween starts middle school (6th grade) next fall, but I'm probably more scared than he is.  He's fearless and it drives me crazy!

wenchmommy381
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:43 PM

See if the school has a "big brother/big sister" type of prgram, where an older student volunteers to help newcomers to avoid anxiety. If they don't, contact an administator to see if s/he can appoint one especially for your daughter. They can even meet at the end of the school year or over the summer. 

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM
DS started middle school this year (7th grade). I was anxious for him but it's been a great year and none of my fears have materialized. I agree with the PP that getting involved will help. At DS's school there are a TON of activities the kids can join. I hope she gets through this, it could be a really good experience for her.

Quoting supermomz25:

Not yet, but we are encouraging her to join clubs and try out for things. We are trying to be as positive as possible.

Quoting mjande4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Get her involved BEFORE she goes. This way she will have friendships already established. Junior high has been an incredible experience for my daughter. My son is heading there next fall and is really excited too. Both of them, however, have been actively involved in other things which transfer to school. My daughter is in to theater and dance so when she started in junior high it was natural for her to try out for the dance team and the school play, etc. She gravitated towards people with similar interests. 

Quoting supermomz25:

Quoting mjande4:

Msgme
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:57 AM

My dd's nerves are on high level at the moment for middle school which she starts in Sept. But not because she'll be in Middle school. Not yet anyway.   She's nervous becasue we don't know what school she will be in. Applications are finished but she still has an audition next month.  Then we still wont find out till about May.  Keeping fingers crossed she gets into one of her top choices. Once we find out what school she'll be in i'm sure she'll get super nervous about starting.  Especially if she's starting a school her friends are not going to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN