Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

He has to learn for himself...

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:13 AM
  • 13 Replies

My 10 year old. He is getting worse about just throwing his stuff any where so this morning he couldn't find his book bag and we had to go. Normally I help, but today I didn't. I figure if the teacher gives him consequences for not having his stuff then he will learn how important it is to have what he needs- I don't know what else to do to make him keep up with it.

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debbie35
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:42 AM

yep!!! Mine use to call home from school if they forgot something or couldnt find it before we had to leave and I refuse to search and deliver that is not my job to keep up with their stuff and if they suffer consequences from not being organized or not having what they need it will teach them. Mine have made there on checklist and hung them by their doors and I get a kick out of seeing em tripple check for their stuff. It works!!!

psych_mom
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I may have to have him do a check list. He is so smart, but so absent minded, lol. His teachers even refer to him as the absent minded professor because of it. I have even been purging tons of stuff the past two weeks to make it easier on him, but even that doesn't seem to be helping.

Quoting Debbie35:

yep!!! Mine use to call home from school if they forgot something or couldnt find it before we had to leave and I refuse to search and deliver that is not my job to keep up with their stuff and if they suffer consequences from not being organized or not having what they need it will teach them. Mine have made there on checklist and hung them by their doors and I get a kick out of seeing em tripple check for their stuff. It works!!!

Debbie35
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Also help him reserve a spot for things needed for the next day!! perferably near the check list! and good luck it will take time so have patience and be stern on the rule I am not your stuff keeper or delivery driver of stuff left behind! Again good luck :)

psych_mom
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I have an area upstairs, we call it the loft, and I was getting ready to convert it to a reading nook. I think I may hang some hooks on the wall for their book bags and things like that so they can grab them in the mornings and go. I don't want it all in the living room because I am making that an oasis for me, lol. It isn't really a good place to do a lot of things because it so closed off, so I decided that I didn't want it cluttered with a bunch of stuff, but the loft is between their bedrooms, so it is perfect for their school stuff and all that. Thanks for the idea, lol :)

Quoting Debbie35:

Also help him reserve a spot for things needed for the next day!! perferably near the check list! and good luck it will take time so have patience and be stern on the rule I am not your stuff keeper or delivery driver of stuff left behind! Again good luck :)

Debbie35
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Perfect and your very welcome!

Quoting psych_mom:

I have an area upstairs, we call it the loft, and I was getting ready to convert it to a reading nook. I think I may hang some hooks on the wall for their book bags and things like that so they can grab them in the mornings and go. I don't want it all in the living room because I am making that an oasis for me, lol. It isn't really a good place to do a lot of things because it so closed off, so I decided that I didn't want it cluttered with a bunch of stuff, but the loft is between their bedrooms, so it is perfect for their school stuff and all that. Thanks for the idea, lol :)

Quoting Debbie35:

wenchmommy381
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM

we figured out where everything belonged right at the beginning of the school year, and that's where it all has to be every single day.

I'm having trouble with my oldest forgetting his homework folder on occasion. It's not damaging his grades, but it is disconcerting. Reminds me... I should e-mail his teacher about it. 

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I'm a huge fan of natural consequences to learn a lesson.  

We also have a spot that they put their backpacks and other stuff that needs to go to school.  I also have the school calendar hung there with important dates hi-lited so that they don't forget anything special.  

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM
The kids know they're supposed to pack their backpacks the night before and they each have a hook. If it's not done, it's my responsibility to find it in the morning and if there's a consequence at school, it's not my fault.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TempestRayne
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Sounds good
Quoting Debbie35:

psych_mom
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:01 PM
My kids know where to put their stuff but Christmas break seems to have thrown everything out of whack and now that I'm reorganizing the house the 10 year old doesn't seem to be able to keep up eith stuff in his room.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

we figured out where everything belonged right at the beginning of the school year, and that's where it all has to be every single day.

I'm having trouble with my oldest forgetting his homework folder on occasion. It's not damaging his grades, but it is disconcerting. Reminds me... I should e-mail his teacher about it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)