Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

OT: Do You Crock Pot Cook?

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM
  • 12 Replies

Easy Crock-Pot Meals Straight From Your Freezer Will Solve Your Dinner Problem

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans

freezer mealsLike most people I'm feeling all full of resolutions at this time of year. The halls have been undecked, the house is pretty well organized, and the kids started back to school today. It's time for a fresh start, and at the top of my list is making dinnertime simpler and healthier.

I've resolved to do it before with great success ... for a while. Then all of the activities start up, and the homework hammers us, and the birthday party circuit heats up, and all of a sudden I find myself in a frantic flurry where takeout seems like the only option. But this year, I have a plan, and it involves my Crock-Pot.

Over the past couple of years, I've become quite a fan of mine, but it still doesn't help on those days when I truly can't find even 10 minutes to shower. You still have to take time to chop and dice UNLESS you just pull a bag straight out of your freezer, put it in the slow cooker, and turn the thing on.

Brilliant, right? And no, it doesn't involve some processed food you get in the freezer section.

I met Stephanie Brandt Cornais of Mama and Baby Love at Mom 2.0 last summer, and she sent me a copy of her book Slow Cooker Freezer Recipes right in the midst of my resolution-making process. And it's a perfect tool to help me keep my resolution this year.

It includes a whole host of fresh, healthy meal recipes that you can prepare ahead of time and freeze. Then on any given day, you just pop one in your Crock-Pot, and dinner is done. It does take a little preparation ahead of time, but if you set aside a couple of hours once or twice a month, you will save oodles of time, stress, and money spent on takeout meals later.

For example, here's her recipe for Orange Beef Stew. It's flavorful, delicious, and so much better than anything from a carton. She has everything in her book from soups and stews to fajitas and chicken dishes. She tells you how to prep and freeze everything, and with a little creativity, you can apply her method to your favorite slow cooker recipes too.

So I'm setting aside a least one night a month to stock my freezer like this. I'll crank up the music, maybe grab a glass of wine, and start chopping. I know I (and my family) will thank myself for it later.

Is this something that would help make your dinnertime simpler?

How often do you use a crock pot to cook?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I try to use it at least a few times a month.  I hope to use it this week when I make bbq ribs!!!  yum!

I am waiting for my friend to send me her baked oatmeal recipe.  For NYE, I made a chicken tortilla soup from allrecipes.com.  It was a huge hit. 

I'm going to check out her book.

TwinSoccerMom
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Yes!  On average 2-3 per week.  Especially during the busy sports seasons then it is often daily.  Our kids tease me that if my crockpot ever died we would all starve.  :-)

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

Yes!  On average 2-3 per week.  Especially during the busy sports seasons then it is often daily.  Our kids tease me that if my crockpot ever died we would all starve.  :-)

We are not as busy right now.  When softball starts, we are going to be REALLY busy.  I need to be more creative with it for sure!

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I use the crock pot 2-3 times a month. Haven't made something we didn't like yet.

I actually have a prime rib in mine today. We had to run some errands this morning, so I tossed it in the crock pot.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I really love doing the freezer recipes. I do a couple days of prep after shopping. And hubby can grab something, read the instructions and toss them in the crock pot and not mess it up, lol.

My oldest has even tossed in a few recipes in the morning, when he had "pick meal of the day" on the calendar.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Quoting kmrtigger:

I really love doing the freezer recipes. I do a couple days of prep after shopping. And hubby can grab something, read the instructions and toss them in the crock pot and not mess it up, lol.

My oldest has even tossed in a few recipes in the morning, when he had "pick meal of the day" on the calendar.

the freezer recipes would be great for me to do.  Often times I will have meals planned out with the ingrediants listed but DH will do dinner and create something on his own.  The problem with this is that he will take an important ingrediant from one meal and another ingrediant from another which means I can't do two meals.  It bugs the crap out of me.  He is getting better at not doing it.  Having the meals frozen could help a lot. 

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting kmrtigger:

the freezer recipes would be great for me to do.  Often times I will have meals planned out with the ingrediants listed but DH will do dinner and create something on his own.  The problem with this is that he will take an important ingrediant from one meal and another ingrediant from another which means I can't do two meals.  It bugs the crap out of me.  He is getting better at not doing it.  Having the meals frozen could help a lot. 

That is the very reason I make freezer meals. I used to put ground beef in the fridge to make a meatloaf, and hubby would go make tacos for lunch with it. And then I was stuck on making dinner.

So now I make the meatloaf, meatballs, taco meat, etc. ahead of time and freeze them.

TempestRayne
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Every once in a while. I need to use it more often.
psych_mom
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM

It would help if we did this. I don't use my crockpot nearly enough.

wenchmommy381
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I definitely need to use it more often than I do.... but I don't know if this will help. I don't like making food ahead of time usually. I might try it once, especially if I can get a good deal on food items at BJs or something. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)