Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

She's Driving Us Crazy!

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:35 PM
  • 26 Replies

My DD is 10yrs old and she is driving us crazy! She is always playing with things that aren't toys. No matter how many times we've talked to her about it she still does it. I fanilly told her the next time she was caught doing it I was going to take one of her toys. Well last night I found out she pulled the "tow" rope out of her baby sister's sled, so I told her to give me her DS. Then not 10 mins later she was playing with the wipes tub so I took her favorite stuffed animal. I have no idea why she's doing this, she has tons of toys, books, viedo games, art suppleis, so it's not like she doesn't have stuff.

Also lately when we go out she acts all spacey and we a always having to shout at her to get her attention, or ask/tell her to do something over and over again. She walks around with her head... well I have no idea where here head is. She'll etheir walk off from us or we'll have to call to her to get her attention so that she doesn't get left behind. Ethier way we're calling to her to stay with us.

I don't know what to do with her, but she's driving us crazy!!!!!!

Anbody eles dealing with this or have delt with this? Any suggestions?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:50 PM

It sounds like she is very creative.  I would be finding ways for her to harness that creativity.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm curious as to how she is playing with it.

My sisters and I joke around a lot about how kids would rather play with non-toys than toys (i.e. box, etc).  What was she doing with the wipes tub? If she isn't really abusing it, then I would let it go.  If she is using up all the wipes, then I would make her pay for it.

As for being spacey, just ask her if there is anything on her mind.  If there isn't anything, let her know ahead of time that you expect her to pay attention to you when you are going somewhere.

embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

It sounds like she is very creative.  I would be finding ways for her to harness that creativity.

She is very Creative! We have tons of art stuff for her crayons, colored penciles, markers, paints, paper, clay all that stuff. She has differnt project kits. She also plays guitar. Yet she still wants to play with stuff that isn't a toy. When we ask her why she says she's bord!

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:56 PM
2 moms liked this

It's not that she is really playing with it, she is MacGyvering.  Sorry if you haven't seen that show.  She's looking at normal everyday things and coming up with different ways of using them.  Same thing when you are out and she doesn't seem to hear you.  She is most likely day dreaming about an invention or idea that she has and working out how to make it work.  These aren't bad traits at all, and really shouldn't be punished over IMO.  We actually need more kids who think outside the box.

embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

My sisters and I joke around a lot about how kids would rather play with non-toys than toys (i.e. box, etc).  What was she doing with the wipes tub? If she isn't really abusing it, then I would let it go.  If she is using up all the wipes, then I would make her pay for it.

As for being spacey, just ask her if there is anything on her mind.  If there isn't anything, let her know ahead of time that you expect her to pay attention to you when you are going somewhere.

The Wipes tub she just sits there opening and closing it over and over. Which I guess really isn't a big deal just bugs the shit out of us because she has so many things to play with. We do tell he that we want her to pay attention, but she still spaces out on us. I've asked her so many times if somethings bugging her or if there's something she wants or needs to talk to us about, she always says no, so I don't know. She does it a lot more when we go grocery shopping, which she always complains about, because she says it's boring. Which okay yes it is, but we need food in the house.

embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

It's not that she is really playing with it, she is MacGyvering.  Sorry if you haven't seen that show.  She's looking at normal everyday things and coming up with different ways of using them.  Same thing when you are out and she doesn't seem to hear you.  She is most likely day dreaming about an invention or idea that she has and working out how to make it work.  These aren't bad traits at all, and really shouldn't be punished over IMO.  We actually need more kids who think outside the box.

LOL I have seen that show and we've said that about her too. That's she MacGyvering it. Just wish she would do it to things that are needed. Or that I didn't have to fix stuff later. Like with the rope she had it all frayed up and was hard to put back in. I know not really a big deal. And yes it is great that she thinks outside of the box, but don't take from you sister's toys!

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Quoting embrigmom:

Quoting M4LG5:

The Wipes tub she just sits there opening and closing it over and over. Which I guess really isn't a big deal just bugs the shit out of us because she has so many things to play with. We do tell he that we want her to pay attention, but she still spaces out on us. I've asked her so many times if somethings bugging her or if there's something she wants or needs to talk to us about, she always says no, so I don't know. She does it a lot more when we go grocery shopping, which she always complains about, because she says it's boring. Which okay yes it is, but we need food in the house.

The tup thing....I would just ask her nicely, "can you stop?" and not make it such a big deal because it really isn't.  If she was taking the wipes out, i would be pissed. 

As for not paying attention, I think she is old enough to let her go if she isn't paying attention.  She is 10 years old, she can figure out how to find you.  If you really want her to stay with you then make a rule that if you have to call out her name twice, she has to hold onto the cart.  I did this with my girls when they were young.  It taught them really quick to stay with me.  Also, is there a way for you to go grocery shopping without kids?  It IS boring which is why I try my best to not go with my kids.  I usually go on Sunday mornings and the girls stay home with daddy.

Msgme
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I can't really say i see an issue with her behavior.  sounds pretty  normal to me.  unless its a safty issue especially the spacing out part.  I don't see anything that needs fixing.

TempestRayne
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like she may be gifted. You may want to have her tested and get her into a gifted program.
M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Quoting Msgme:

I can't really say i see an issue with her behavior.  sounds pretty  normal to me.  unless its a safty issue especially the spacing out part.  I don't see anything that needs fixing.

I agree.  DD2 will drive me nuts with some of the things she does but I don't get angry about it.  I just have to be on her more than the other two to put things away and stay on track.....oh, and to stop talking all the time.  haha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)