Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Lower Braces going on tomrrow!

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM
  • 9 Replies

My 10yr old dd has had her upper braces on for a little over a year, it was 1yr on Jan 2nd. We went in today for a office vist and they changed her brackets today (she picked red and white for Valentine's Day). Well at the end of the visit like all of her visits they have me caome back so they can talk to me about how she's doing and when I need to bring her back in. Today they told me she's ready for her lower braces (we were waiting for a baby tooth to fall out). I tried to see if they could do it today while we were already in the office, but they didn't have an opening. So we are going in tomrrow in the afternoon and she's getting them on. I'm a little frustrated that I have to go back out there again tomrrow. It's about a half an hour drive. But I'm glad she's getting them on, because that means we're one step closer to being done with them! She's supper excited! She's been waitting since the day she got the top ones on for her bottoms.

Not sure how much longer she'll be in braces after tomrrow. Think a year or so. But who knows will find out tomrrow. I know they said that she would need the tops longer then the bottoms and was part of the reason that she would be in tops for about a year before her bottoms. I think they had said the whole thing from start to finish would be 18-24 months so well guess we'll find out.

Anybody eles do braces? How Long did you/your kids have them for? Any steps after the  braces come off?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I would have waited until her appointment next month to have the bottom ones put on, but that is just me.

Neither of my boys have braces.  The 12 year old doesn't want them and I'm fine with that.  The dentist hasn't mentioned it for my 9 year old.  I had them on in the 80's for 3 years.  The only thing after braces was a retainer for a few years.  My wisdom teeth were impacted and came in sideways under my gums when I was in my 20's and my teeth are all messed up again.  So I had braces for 3 years for absolutely nothing.  Of course, I could have had them put back on in my 20's, but I declined.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:48 PM

So far, mine haven't need it.  I had braces for two years.  

psych_mom
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Good luck to her.

mypbandj
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:57 PM

My dd got some braces (top only) when she was in 2nd or 3rd grade. The plan was basically to just put a spacer in the bottom to widen her mouth since her baby teeth were crowded (we could have just done a retainer but we opted to have them cement them in). Anyway, as her mouth was being widened, her front teeth began to fall and so they had to put braces on them. Once everything came out, she had to wear a retainer at night.  She is now 12 and ready for her real set of braces (phase 2). The first phase was just to widen the mouth, not straighten the teeth or adjust the bite. I know she wants them asap but right now her brother, 15, is in braces and we can't afford to pay for two sets at once. When ds gets his off, we will get dd's on. 

wakymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Ds1 has had his on for not quite a yr, I think. He's got a ways to go yet.

Ds2 just got his last Fri. He'll be in them for about 6 months, just to start pulling in his overbite, then we wait for him to lose the rest of his baby teeth before going on the to next phase to finish the job.

Dd isn't in them yet, but she does have a bit of an overbite, so we know it's coming!

Poor kids- all 3 got my overbite : (

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:22 PM
DS had headgear (for his overbite) from either Feb or March until August when he got full braces. I can't remember if start to finish was 18 or 24 months but we're about 1/2 there. I think DD will need and want braces but no word yet. She's 8.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:35 AM
The dentist hasn't mentioned them for mine yet. I'm anxious about it since it $$$ and I have two that are the same age. Plus the just reduced the spending account savings options from $5k to $2.5k.

I had braces as an adult. I'm the worst about wearing the retainer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TempestRayne
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM
So far, so good.
embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:15 PM

We just got back from the orthodontst and all went well. Her mouth is a little tender. But she is happy and they told us she has 6 more months to go in her treatment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)