Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Watching the news

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:50 PM
  • 26 Replies

In general, do you watch the news with your tween? (Or, does s/he watch the news with you?)

I only ask because my oldest is 8 1/2 and while I watch the news with him nearby, I realize some of the news stories can be a bit too much (they covered the heck out of the Aurora CO and the Sandy Hook Elementary shootings). He sometimes asks questions, but usually he is content to play video games instead. 

I'm starting to look for more comprehensive news coverage-- most of the major network news broadcasts are heavy on the special interest stories-- but BBC News is even more graphic while covering more world events.

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TempestRayne
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Nope. Sure don't. I don't even watch the news.
M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Yes.  In fact, the news is on in the morning in my room while we are getting dressed.  If the TV is on after work, it's on the news.  So, she does see things a lot and does pay attention.  There are times that I will go into my room and she is laying on the bed.  I ask her what she is doing and she replies, "watching the news."

brandi185
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:01 PM

when we had cable the news was on when we had nothing else to watch.  if the kids watched it i was ok with that.  they would ask questions and i answered them.  now we don't have cable so i am even out of the loop sometimes.  i actually get most of my news through cafemom then i go look it up elsewhere to get more info.

brandi185
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM

when i was a kid my mom would come home and announce, "turn off whatever crap you're watching, i'm watching the news".  my mom watches the news ALL THE TIME except when some of her primetime shows are in.

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Generally I don't watch the news. Sometimes the kids see it. DS is 12 so he absorbs and understands more, DD is 8 and doesn't really pay much attention.

My MIL watches the news (Fox) ALL the time and then calls to ask if we were watching (answer is always no) and tell us that we need to get out of the stock market, stock up on canned goods or whatever the story is about. Ugh. I cringe when I see her name on the caller ID.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:03 PM

We don't really watch the news. I prefer to just check the headlines on my Comcast homepage, and will go to the article if I want.

The kids don't pay too much attention to the news. If there is something really major, I will make sure to tell ds1 (13) about it- I told him about Sandy Hook, when Bin Laden was killed, and other major stories like that, and I believe he is aware of the gun control "debate" going on.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM

My son's school watches the news daily during Advisory.

This is what they stream into the classroom:

http://www.cnn.com/studentnews/index.html

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:13 PM

They watch it with us if it's on TV and they are in the same room. Sometimes we discuss the topics on the news together further if they have questions. They also have our local paper available in the classroom to read daily if they choose.

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I watch local news and evening national news if it is something breaking then I was one of the major networks-I never worry too much on content-I would rather them ask question and talk about things so they dont need to woryy.  I have an 8.5, 11 and 14yr old-and I have always watched the news.

psych_mom
by Stacy on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM

We don't ever watch the news since we don't have cable, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)