Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Monday Tip - 01/14/13

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM
  • 6 Replies

Suds Up for Food Safety

Washing fruits and vegetables before eating them reduces the risk of foodborne illness. If fruits and veggies have a ridged or uneven skin, use a scrub brush to remove dirt from the grooves. Remember, even produce with inedible skin should still be washed as a first step. 

This week, get into the habit of washing all produce thoroughly before serving. Be sure to start with clean hands and a sanitary work station.

If you like your Healthy Monday Tips, you'll love the 

recipes, stories, suggestions and resources on the Meatless Monday 

and The Kids Cook Monday sites.

Healthy Monday was started by a non-profit organization founded in 2005 in association with 

Columbia University, Johns Hopkins University and Syracuse University.

Copyright © 2013 The Monday Campaigns Inc., All rights reserved.
You're receiving this email because you opted in at our website, www.healthymonday.org.
Our mailing address is:

The Monday Campaigns Inc.

215 Lexington Ave

Suite 1001

New York, NY 10016

Add us to your address book

unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences 

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
steelcrazy
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Excellent tip.  

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I already do this.
Thanks... looking forward to the future Monday Healthy Tips.
kmrtigger
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I do this every time we return home with fruit or produce.

In large tub or bowl, fill half way with water then mix in:
 1 cup vinegar
4 Tablspoons lemon juice

Soak fruits/veggies for at least a 2-5 minutes.  Remove from soak and rinse well.

wenchmommy381
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Has anyone ever used those commercially available produce washes? I don't know what's in them, and I just don't think they're a good idea.

Also, I just read somewhere that baby carrots are made from wonky regular carrots and they're treated with chlorine. I was thinking of blanching them in order to get them clean. Anyone else aware of this?

Barabell
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Has anyone ever used those commercially available produce washes? I don't know what's in them, and I just don't think they're a good idea.

Also, I just read somewhere that baby carrots are made from wonky regular carrots and they're treated with chlorine. I was thinking of blanching them in order to get them clean. Anyone else aware of this?

I've never used the produce wash. I have always just used water, and I often forget to wash things like melons, citrus, and bananas.

I've heard the same thing about the baby carrots, but it was on CM. So I don't know how reliable the information is. I think the same person said if you buy baby organic carrots that they aren't bleached.

kmrtigger
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Quoting wenchmommy381:

No, I make my own in the sink or sometimes in a spray bottle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)