Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Your Tween's first "I hate you" ...

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you experienced this yet? How did you handle that moment?

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
zebra556
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:04 AM
No, but I tell her that I love her no matter what and every night before bed tell her that I love her. She knows that I can dislike her behavior and I am sure she is not always happy with me especially when I say No.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BKozICan
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM

He has said "I hate this" and "you're a mean mother." I just tell him I love him enough for both of us right now.

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:24 AM

None of my kids have ever said "I hate you" and I doubt they ever will. They understand the meaning of the word hate and know that its wrong and highly disrespectful to say that to anyone, let alone a caring parent.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM

My oldest said it when she was 4....ugh, what a year that was.

Anyways, since then she has not said it and, really, she is pretty good as long as you discuss things with her and not lecture her.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM
My step son never said that. He's 14 now. He's said he's mad at me before, but never that he hated me. That wouldn't go over very well in my house. We are pretty picky about respect, even when they're angry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandi185
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM

my 11 year old said it once but he kind of deflated as he said it.  he also tried to play the insult game with me.  one day he was all mad about something and started calling me names.  so i turned on him and called him all those names right back and in the same mean tone.  when i was done i stopped and said, "how does it fee?", and he started crying.  i told him that people are going to treat him the way he treats them and kids don't want to be friends with mean kids.  ever since then when he's angry he'll start to say something then thinks better of it and bites his tongue.  i also realized that he has a much better group of friends since then too.

he got so frustrated and angry at his dad when he was 7 or 8 and the worst thing he could come up with was, "dad, you're a poop!".  he was all tears and that angry kid grunt/growl, i could see the gears moving looking for something real mean to say and that's what came out.  

my 8 year old has said "i hate you" but then he burst into tears and came to me a few minutes later and said sorry.

martinam7667
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Good Lord....It must actually be true then...I AM the worst Mom Earth...Reading thru the replies I kept thinking....wow...I just heard I hate you yesterday...Her brother ate the last corn dog and since I didnt rip it out  of his mouth...I got an "I hate you" to which I responded...."love you too" she is almost 13...her older sister said it when she was about the same age. I DONT take it personally at all...most of the time (somedays it can really strike a nerve and hurt...but I have to remember the context) I coonsider it as simply a word..Not an emotive. She is frustrated and is striking out.

brandi185
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Quoting martinam7667:

Good Lord....It must actually be true then...I AM the worst Mom Earth...Reading thru the replies I kept thinking....wow...I just heard I hate you yesterday...Her brother ate the last corn dog and since I didnt rip it out  of his mouth...I got an "I hate you" to which I responded...."love you too" she is almost 13...her older sister said it when she was about the same age. I DONT take it personally at all...most of the time (somedays it can really strike a nerve and hurt...but I have to remember the context) I coonsider it as simply a word..Not an emotive. She is frustrated and is striking out.

don't feel bad, i have a feeling those hormonal teen years are going to hit pretty hard for my boys.  my 11 year old is mouthy and my 8 year old doesn't care who you are you're going to know how mad he is.  i did get a, "you're ruining my life", the other day from my 8 year old.  i took his iphone for a week.  it doesn't have cell service but they use it for everything else.  i laughed.  it just sounded silly coming from him.

I use multi-million dollar satellites to find tupperwear in the woods.
What's your hobby?
TempestRayne
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Quoting somuchlove4U:

Not yet. She told me she didn't like me when she was younger, but that's it. Whenever she said it, I would tell her I love you no matter what.

mommadana
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I said "I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I love you anyways."

Dana    
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN