Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

allowance?

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM
  • 13 Replies

We don't give an allowance.  The kids have chores they are expected to do as members of this family.  That includes things like cleaning their room, picking up their things from the rest of the house, clearing their dishes from the table, feeding the dog, folding & putting away their laundry.  On weekends they assist me with cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming and dusting.

Anyway, my 9 year old son has decided that he wants to earn an allowance and he's coming up with additional chores above and beyond his normal ones.  Things like unloading the dishwasher, picking up dog poo, etc.

So, I'm curious for those who do give an allowance, what is the "going rate" and how many chores do they get paid for?

I have a feeling the other boys will want in on this as well, so I'm a little leery of it - don't want to end up paying a fortune!  LOL

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I don't pay for chores either.  My boys earn extra money by helping my parents around their house.  They get $5 for cutting the grass or raking leaves, my parent have 3 acres.  A couple dollars for helping put up or take down the Christmas decorations.  My oldest has helped my dad clean the gutters before too.  

I don't ever give them money for doing anything around the house and have told them multiple times that as soon as someone pays me for mainting our house, then I will happily pay them.

psych_mom
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I don't give allowances either. For the extra stuff, I would come up with a list of what you are willing to pay for each chore that is completed to your standards, such as $.25 for doing the dishes, $.50 a week for cleaning up the dog poo, not a whole lot at this time, but tell him as he starts doing bigger things, then the pay will increase according to each job.

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM
I have a tween. We did allowances early on, The but we don't anymore . He has family chores ( unpaid) , but I slip in a twenty or a gift card if his behavior is particularly helpful, or does something above and beyond what's expected.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RatherBeReading
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

We do $1 a day per kid for chores. 

Older 2 (8 1/2 and 10) switch off on keeping the living room picked up (toys, shoes, their junk) and dusted, keeping their bathroom and hallway picked up and the sink and counter wiped down, keeping their bedroom picked up, assisting with dishes, assisting with laundry and checking the mail. Youngest (5) also does laundry and mail, as well as collects the trash from around the house for the same pay. 

We do the allowance so that they can buy their own stuff, and are not begging for stuff when we go to the store. If they have the money, they can buy it themselves and decide if it is worth it instead of just wanting it because it's "cool". They are quickly learning not to do impulse buying on junk lol

TempestRayne
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM
I wouldn't consider it payment for chores, rather an education in proper money management. Monetary planning isn't taught in schools, it is something that has to be learned through life experience. Too many children end up in serious dbt as young adults because their parents do not educate them adequately in how to handle money and credit. Simply modelling the behaviour is not enough-they can't just watch you managing your money and be expected to do it themselves when they grow up. They need to start early.
M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM
We don't do money for chores but I do give them $1 for every 100 pages of reading.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM
That's not really something we're lacking in. They all have money from various sources (usually birthdays & Christmas), and we have taught them to save 1/3, put 1/3 in a separate 'emergency fund', and then they
can spend 1/3. My 13 & 9 year old understand budgeting, interest, debt, etc. (6 year old doesn't fully get it yet).

That's actually why he's asking to earn money - he has the money in the bank for what he wants, but that's not his "spending" money, and he doesn't have enough spending money yet. He hasn't even asked to dip into his savings because he WANTS a savings.

Quoting TempestRayne:

I wouldn't consider it payment for chores, rather an education in proper money management. Monetary planning isn't taught in schools, it is something that has to be learned through life experience. Too many children end up in serious dbt as young adults because their parents do not educate them adequately in how to handle money and credit. Simply modelling the behaviour is not enough-they can't just watch you managing your money and be expected to do it themselves when they grow up. They need to start early.
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM
I am exactly like this with my boys.

But their gramps pays them to do work put at his place. And he pays them better than I would.

My boys are great with money. They learned to manage birthday cash and money from Christmas and from their grandfather while on vacation. So I have no need to pay them to maintain our home, just to learn how to handle money.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I don't pay for chores either.  My boys earn extra money by helping my parents around their house.  They get $5 for cutting the grass or raking leaves, my parent have 3 acres.  A couple dollars for helping put up or take down the Christmas decorations.  My oldest has helped my dad clean the gutters before too.  

I don't ever give them money for doing anything around the house and have told them multiple times that as soon as someone pays me for mainting our house, then I will happily pay them.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM
I like the idea of a list with a price it earns.

Maybe make the list and decide based upon how much you dislike that job yourself. Or based upon how long the chore takes to complete.
mamavalor
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:06 PM

We don't give allowance.  Chores are divided up and everyone has to do them.  If they want something, all they have to do is to ask.  We discuss and then decide if items need to be purchased.  They also have very generous aunts, uncles, and grandparents too. They receive money from modeling gigs and their own money making ideas like lemonade stand and stuff but they save that earned money for college.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)