Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

I got a new sewing machine this week and my boys love it. Every day they ask if they can sew something. So far both have made minature pillows just for practice. I am kind of shocked that they have shown such great interest in it.

Do your sons, husbands, or SO know how to sew? Do they think that it is girly or a good skill to have. My ex-husband knew how to sew because part of his job as a water survival instructor in the Navy required that he learn how to sew up parachutes and other equipement. My husband now doesn't really know how, but he got right in there the other night while I was cooking dinner and helped the kids with figuring it out.

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Replies (11-20):
coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:24 PM
I don't have a sweing machine so no. My mom can sew and knit and all of that talent seems to have bypassed me. =( I can howwever sew up open seams and holes in socks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperLooneyMom
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM
My boys were taught the basic hand stitch for repairing tears and applying scouting patches. I just received a new sewing machine so as soon as I learn that one my 12 yr old son wants to make a camo quilt.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Larisa72
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Before we were married, my husband was in the Navy and took care of his clothing repairs and such.  I've been sewing since I was 5, so it seemed natural that I would take over his mending as well as mine.  My son is almost 13 and my daughter is 9...I've been teaching them home ec over the summers and we continue through the year.  This past summer, both children sewed their own aprons to use during our cooking lessons.  Now, both of them are hand-sewing during down time when we take away electronics (which is definitely needed sometimes).  They both like to make pillows and stuffed critters of their own making.

DH said he thinks that DS is so interested in sewing because he sees the sewing machine as just another tool....like the table saw, drill, etc. (no, he hasn't used the table saw, but he has helped with home repairs and has used the drill).  And here's the thing....the most well known, successful designers, chefs, etc. have been men, so I don't see that there's anything wrong with it at all.

btw, I'm teaching both children these things so that they can be self-reliant when they are out on their own...no reason to spend money for someone else to do what you can do for yourself

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM

My older two sons learned how to sew in middle school. I learned in middle school to, but I don't sew or have a sewing machine so I am not sure if my boys would be interested or not.

pattya925
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:24 AM

I'd have to learn myself before teaching DS :) I haven't touched a sewing machine since 8th grade home ec!

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I would love to learn how to sew but I dont know how. My 21 year old does know how to sew. He learned it when he was required to take home ec in school. He made pajama pants as his project and enjoyed it so much that for Christmas that year, he made everyone pajama bottoms. He was 15 when he learned. My 18 year old does not know how to sew nor does my 8 year old. My dad sews really well. His grandfather owned a shoe repair shop from the 1940s until his death about 10 years ago. My dad grew up helping out there, so he learned on the big industrial machines. To him a machine at home is a piece of cake..lol

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:08 AM

My husband learned how to sew many years ago in middle school, it was a requirement back in the day.  I'm not a huge fan of sewing, so I don't do it very often and only when necessary.  My boys don't know how to sew and have never shown an interest.  Maybe I should teach them how to sew so that they can sew the patches on their Scout uniforms.  Most are currently held on with pins and staples because I haven't gotten around to actually sewing them on.

wenchmommy381
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM

None of us know how to sew, but we have a sewing machine and I've faked it a couple times for Halloween costumes. My kids' clothes almost never tear where they can be patched with a little sewing job (straight across the knee? The LEFT knee? Every time??? Yeesh!) but I have no problem with them learning how to stitch or replace a button. 

psych_mom
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:48 AM

My ex had to use the industrial machines in the Navy. It was always interesting to walk into the room they did the sewing in because the machines were so much bigger than the ones we used at home and they were painted army green of all colors and sat on army green tables. A lot of things they sewed and repaired were also army green, lol.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

I would love to learn how to sew but I dont know how. My 21 year old does know how to sew. He learned it when he was required to take home ec in school. He made pajama pants as his project and enjoyed it so much that for Christmas that year, he made everyone pajama bottoms. He was 15 when he learned. My 18 year old does not know how to sew nor does my 8 year old. My dad sews really well. His grandfather owned a shoe repair shop from the 1940s until his death about 10 years ago. My dad grew up helping out there, so he learned on the big industrial machines. To him a machine at home is a piece of cake..lol

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM

We don't have a sewing machine.

My husband knows how to hand sew about as well as I do. Neither of us have taught our son how to sew.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)