Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does it seem as if kids are bringing home more illnesses this year?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM
  • 29 Replies

I swear, almost every week my kids have come home with one illness or another. I don't remember it ever being this bad before. The thing is, everything is a virus, no bacterial infections, just things that seem to get them sick for a few days and then go away and then a few days later something else hits them. Anyone else having an issue with this?

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperLooneyMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Last year my dd 6 did have constant colds and whatnot. But the cold weather does hibernate the virus more just so that it can reproduce was the climate is just right. So while it seems there are more illnesses out there it really is smaller than we think. Just repetitious.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM

My oldest daughter is hardly ever sick.  She is in 4th grade and hasn't missed school since 2nd grade.....until last week.  It hit her pretty good.  My twins, knock on wood, have only been sick once this year.  They usually get sick 1-2 times a year.

psych_mom
by Stacy on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM

So far my daughter has had several different things- stomach bug, an illness that had a fever, caughing, and sore throat and now she has gotten a really bad cold. Now both of my boys have the cold and I seem to have what she had the time before last, but I think that I got it from my intern program. Also, Dana got pneumonia in October. None of it related. Just seems like she is getting a lot of different things this year and I am worried for her.

Quoting SuperLooneyMom:

Last year my dd 6 did have constant colds and whatnot. But the cold weather does hibernate the virus more just so that it can reproduce was the climate is just right. So while it seems there are more illnesses out there it really is smaller than we think. Just repetitious.

psych_mom
by Stacy on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM

That's my middle son, hardly ever sick but when he gets sick it hits him hard. The oldest has asthma so anything that can irritate his lungs will make him sick and my daughter had RSV for over a month and they said their was a good possiblity of lung damage, so I wonder if that is why she gets sick so easily now.

Quoting M4LG5:

My oldest daughter is hardly ever sick.  She is in 4th grade and hasn't missed school since 2nd grade.....until last week.  It hit her pretty good.  My twins, knock on wood, have only been sick once this year.  They usually get sick 1-2 times a year.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:36 PM

This year hasn't been too bad for us thus far.  *knocks on wood*  The boys and I are all dealing with the same head cold at the moment, but all we've maybe each had one or two viruses, which isn't bad at all in my book.  I think my husband may have had one, I don't recall.  

psych_mom
by Stacy on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I wonder if it has something to do with our weather. If gets cold and then warm here so the viruses and bacteria aren't being killed off naturally. We still have yellow jackets flying around in the middle of winter, so if they are able to survive the crazy weather we are having, I would imagine the germs out there are as well.

Quoting steelcrazy:

This year hasn't been too bad for us thus far.  *knocks on wood*  The boys and I are all dealing with the same head cold at the moment, but all we've maybe each had one or two viruses, which isn't bad at all in my book.  I think my husband may have had one, I don't recall.  

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM

So far no different than normal for us. *knocks on wood*

TempestRayne
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Not really. I guess we are lucky.
psych_mom
by Stacy on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I'm glad that it isn't as bad for everyone else as it is here. I call the pediatricians office, tell them the symtoms, they call what they need in. They told me that there are a several viruses going around here :(. Kind of makes me wish we lived somewhere else, lol.

TempestRayne
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Not really. Guess I must just be lucky: )
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)