Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

mood swings with an almost 11 yr old

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:31 AM
  • 5 Replies
My daughter is turning 11 next week and ive been talking with her abt puberty, slowly as she looses focus :) What are some good ways to teach her besides the am. girl body book and talking?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
catngabsmom
by Erica on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM

how are you approaching it with her? with my own girls, they each have the AG body book, and i have always had an open bathroom door since they were little, so the period talk has been ongoing since they were old enough to ask what a pad was. my oldest dd hates talking about any of it if i try to tell her facts about the changes her body is going through, instead i have been relating my "experiences" to her about it. she is 11 and had her first period in december (i was around the same age), she seems to be responding better with it being told to her as a story of me being a kid. my youngest dd is 10, she likes the cold hard facts, she wants pictures, charts and anatomy books, but hearing the stories i tell the oldest one, having the open door to talk since they were able to talk, and just figuring out the right approach with each kid. 

mood swings are a perpetual battle, i have my youngest dd starting to enter puberty, oldest dd in full blown puberty, and my in perimenopause....my husband should be on xanax!!

psych_mom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I am not sure. It is different with each child. I have just been talking to my daughter a little at a time.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM

American Girl: Care and Keeping of you.

The chapters are very short and my daugther and I take turns reading each paragraph and then we talk about it.  From there, we have had on-going conversations that are open and (hopefully) not scary for my daughter. 

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:57 PM

My daughter loved this group!  She's ask questions and we'd talk about things as she read.

Quoting M4LG5:

American Girl: Care and Keeping of you.

The chapters are very short and my daugther and I take turns reading each paragraph and then we talk about it.  From there, we have had on-going conversations that are open and (hopefully) not scary for my daughter. 

jphil77
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM

There's no right or wrong way - is she open to communication?  I had to talk to my DD about it bc she had her first period at that age.  As soon as she started growing breasts (5th grade) I just sat her down and talked to her about her body, and if she understood what was going.  Luckily, some of her other friends were starting their period also and they all talked about it to eachother.  My poor DD is now 13, super thin with C cup bra size.  She's been getting attention from boys since the 5th grade, so I HAD to talk to her about it.  Luckily she hates her bra size and doesn't wear inappropriate clothing like some girls I see doing - but it's normally the ones that don't have anything.  So we're safe there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN