Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

How bad is it to lip-sync?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • 10 Replies

So, Beyonce is getting a lot of negative comments about her lip-sync performance.  On one hand, I would like to hear these great singers sing more even if it wasn't perfect.  The anthem is a pretty hard song to sing but singing it live is genuine and adds to the greatness of the moment.  On the other hand, I can see how hard it can be to sing live in different venues and particular environments.  Also, if they don't sing it perfect, they are given crap because they missed a word or whatever.  Damned if they do....damned if they don't.

What do you think?  Do you think Beyonce (or any other singer) should sing live no matter what?  Is it okay to sing lip-sync?  Do you care either way?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I was a teenager during that whole Milli Vanilli lip sync fiasco, so my opinion may be slightly screwed due to that.

I think that a live performance should always be just that - LIVE.  I'm not a fan at all of performances being prerecorded for any reason.  Live in the moment and give it your best effort, no one is perfect and I don't understand why we expect celebrities to be.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM

If they are going to lip-sync, they need to be upfront about it. If it's billed as a live performance, and then they lip-sync just b/c, I'd be upset- I'd rather see them sing and skip all the fance dance moves. If they were lip-syncing b/c they lost their voice and couldn't cancel, that's understandable.

wenchmommy381
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM

My mind goes in several directions on this particular case. In general, if a person is supposed to be performing live, they shouldn't back out and fake it, but rather pull out altogether. Knowing Beyonce can sing, it doesn't bother me much that she did lip synch-- It is freezing out in DC, and that effs up your voice something awful. I am of a more politically conservative persuasion, but it really bugs me that some of my conservative friends are talking about this like it's a Communist plot! So she didn't sing! Big whoop! How is that destroying America? But I digress... 

Another thing is paying for a performance. I honestly don't know if people paid to attend the Inaguration ceremony... obviously if they did,  they didn't pay just to hear Beyonce, but rather to be a part of an historical event. Did Beyonce charge a performance fee? Should she be paid the same amount if she didn't actually sing? It's not up to me, but I might be inclined to say no. 

NYCitymomx3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I think that if you get paid an exorbitant amount of money because of your talent, then that talent needs to be ready to go at all gigs.  Could you imagine baseball teams piecing together tapes of their best plays instead of playing live?  My daughter has to perform live at her dance competitions to win title - should she just show the judges a tape of her doing that dance really well at rehearsal last week instead?  It pisses me off and Beyonce should get a quarter of what they agreed to pay her (and only because she showed up, wore nice clothes, and did a convincing lip-sync).

psych_mom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I think considering it is in the middle of winter and that can be very hard on the voice she made the right choice.

Emeraldmama7
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:22 PM

If I'm paying to see a concert, I want to hear their REAL voice.  Some singers are just all show and no talent.  I listen to metal and when I go to their concerts it sounds the same as on the cd.  It's great!  I've also heard Mariah Carey in concert and she was amazing.  THAT's what I want to hear!  

Rogue35
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I think if you are paying to hear them sing. They should sing live. They choose to be singers.
TwinSoccerMom
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I kind of have mixed feelings on this.  I really want to hear someone singing live at concerts when I pay to see them.  But performers are expected to do so much more than just stand on the stage in front a mic and sing.  It isn't easy to sing really well while dancing like a crazy woman on stage.  So I can understand why there is the temptation for them to pre-record vocals.  When I go to a concert I like the songs to sound close to what I am used to them sounding like but I enjoy it when they change things just a little and you know it is live.

The Black Eyed Peas got slammed for singing live at the Super Bowl a few years ago because some people didn't think it sounded good.  It's live...in a huge stadum, what do you expect?  Beyonce got slammed because it was too perfect.  Sheesh!

All I know is, I wish the whole Beyonce-gate would end. The girl has talent, we all know that.  It wasn't like she was using someone else's vocals.

girlsclubmom
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I think it is disgraceful.The other singers sang live, so the conditions were not horrible, why couldnt she.

catngabsmom
by Erica on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM

there could have been a million reasons why she did lip-sync, but unlike milli vanilli, she did it to her own voice and singing!! i am a republican, and i see no communist plot here, i am not even a fan of Beyonce, but i wish people would let it die!!! it gets a little old holding performers and other high profile type people on such a pedestal, they are human too, they put their pants on one leg at a time and wipe their ass with charmin like the rest of us!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)