Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sudden failing grades for my 8 year old

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

he was doing great at the beginning of this school year but somewhere around the end of the first quarter his grades started rapidly dropping.  calls and notes from the teacher were coming home on a weekly to daily basis.  he is 8 years old (9 in march) in the 3rd grade.  at his school for each grade they have sets of teachers instead of one teacher per class.  this way if a teacher knows more about math than science she can teach just that and the kids benefit from learning from a person about their expertise.  he has 3 teachers and they all say he is a good kid and knows how to do what is asked but just gets lazy it seems.  i get constant notes telling me that they are worried about my son's work ethic.  he has a 47 in math right now.  i see super low grades coming home.  he has brought home worksheets with a 0 grade because he got it all wrong.  yet when i have him sit down at the table to correct it all he gets nearly everyone correct with no help from me.  i don't want to accidentally give him the answer while i'm helping him so i wait till he's done and check over it.  homework is a struggle to get him to do it but once he's doing it he gets it done with minimal corrections needed.  

i am wondering if he is bored.  last year his teachers requested i put in an application for him to be given the gifted test but something happened and i never even got his results.  

i am just really worried.  he has always been an A student.  what should i do?  should i talk to his teacher about him getting the gifted test again?

I use multi-million dollar satellites to find tupperwear in the woods.
What's your hobby?
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jphil77
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Hmmmm.  Have you asked him what's going on?  I had the same suggestions for my DD - she was in a public school system all her life and was "bored"but it was the opposite - she wasn't getting bad grades, she was doing extremely well.  She's 13 (7th grade) and I even moved her into a new school this year bc of that very same problem.  she tested and got into a pretty great college prep school here in town - very selective on who they admit into the program.  Now, she struggles but very motivated.  Even though she is smart, I have to still guide her and teach her things - like organization, paying attention to detail, read books with her so we can discuss, etc.  If I were you, I would talk to his teachers and get involved.  Guide him a little and try to see what's going on.  Is someone picking on him?  Does he like a girl?  It's normal for grades to drop after the first quarter bc the first quarter is really review from the previous year.

brandi185
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Socially he's fine. He has a great little group of friends and is a Cub Scout and does great there. He reads at a 5th or 6th grade level and has always tested above average for level testing each time we've moved. I would love to move him to a private school but just don't have the money for it. His grades dropping after the first quarter because its mostly review would make sense if he didnt understand the new material. He does though. When he actually does the work he knows exactly what he's doing. It just seems that what we've been doing for the past few months is not working and the teachers just aren't getting that.

Quoting jphil77:

Hmmmm.  Have you asked him what's going on?  I had the same suggestions for my DD - she was in a public school system all her life and was "bored"but it was the opposite - she wasn't getting bad grades, she was doing extremely well.  She's 13 (7th grade) and I even moved her into a new school this year bc of that very same problem.  she tested and got into a pretty great college prep school here in town - very selective on who they admit into the program.  Now, she struggles but very motivated.  Even though she is smart, I have to still guide her and teach her things - like organization, paying attention to detail, read books with her so we can discuss, etc.  If I were you, I would talk to his teachers and get involved.  Guide him a little and try to see what's going on.  Is someone picking on him?  Does he like a girl?  It's normal for grades to drop after the first quarter bc the first quarter is really review from the previous year.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wenchmommy381
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:40 AM

How many times have you moved? Does it happen at regular intervals, and is it nearly time for the next move?

Quoting brandi185:

Socially he's fine. He has a great little group of friends and is a Cub Scout and does great there. He reads at a 5th or 6th grade level and has always tested above average for level testing each time we've moved. I would love to move him to a private school but just don't have the money for it. His grades dropping after the first quarter because its mostly review would make sense if he didnt understand the new material. He does though. When he actually does the work he knows exactly what he's doing. It just seems that what we've been doing for the past few months is not working and the teachers just aren't getting that.

Quoting jphil77:

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
brandi185
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:28 AM
We moved when he was in preschool and when he was in kindergarten. He's in the third grade now. Dh was in the navy.
Yesterday my son gave me a full blown history lesson on JFK and Martin Luther king jr. He also talked about the government a lot and helped his brother (in the 5th grade) a few times when they were covering that in school but his teacher said he struggled with that the most. So he obviously knows the stuff. He has an attitude that if he knows it why does he have to go over it again and again.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

How many times have you moved? Does it happen at regular intervals, and is it nearly time for the next move?

Quoting brandi185:

Quoting jphil77:

psych_mom
by Stacy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Have you asked him if anyone has been bullying him, been inappropriate with him in anyway or anything like that? Do a good friend move away? Usually kids have a sudden change in their school work, not because they are bored, but because of one of the reasons above.

brandi185
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Quoting psych_mom:

Have you asked him if anyone has been bullying him, been inappropriate with him in anyway or anything like that? Do a good friend move away? Usually kids have a sudden change in their school work, not because they are bored, but because of one of the reasons above.

there was a problem earlier in the year with a little girl and very inapropriate notes but the teachers were great and it was taken care of.  as for bullies, the teachers haven't noticed anything and, to be honest, my son is the kind of kid that if he were being bullied he would punch that kid in the face.  his teachers have been great about trying to find out what is going on.  we're just running into a wall.  

psych_mom
by Stacy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Is there a trusted adult, such as a grandparent, aunt or uncle that he may talk to? Sometimes a child will talk to these people more than they will a parent.

Quoting brandi185:

Quoting psych_mom:

there was a problem earlier in the year with a little girl and very inapropriate notes but the teachers were great and it was taken care of.  as for bullies, the teachers haven't noticed anything and, to be honest, my son is the kind of kid that if he were being bullied he would punch that kid in the face.  his teachers have been great about trying to find out what is going on.  we're just running into a wall.  

brandi185
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM
He talks to his nana and papa, mil and step fil. Mil says he doesn't seem to be dealing with anything troubling at school.

I talked to his home room teacher this morning and she's going to find out if my son can be tested for gifted.

Quoting psych_mom:

Is there a trusted adult, such as a grandparent, aunt or uncle that he may talk to? Sometimes a child will talk to these people more than they will a parent.

Quoting brandi185:

Quoting psych_mom:

psych_mom
by Stacy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Keep us posted on how it goes. I have a son in gifted and he loves it.

Quoting brandi185:

He talks to his nana and papa, mil and step fil. Mil says he doesn't seem to be dealing with anything troubling at school.

I talked to his home room teacher this morning and she's going to find out if my son can be tested for gifted.

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting brandi185:

Quoting psych_mom:

mamavalor
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Gifted kids, when placed in a room full of mediocre or low functioning ones, will unfortunately hide their skills just to fit in.  Kids are cruel and if you are different in any way they are going to notice and bug you about it.

Teach your son to be strong.  His skills are something to be valued not hidden. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)