Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

sudden failing grades for my 8 year old

Posted by   + Show Post

he was doing great at the beginning of this school year but somewhere around the end of the first quarter his grades started rapidly dropping.  calls and notes from the teacher were coming home on a weekly to daily basis.  he is 8 years old (9 in march) in the 3rd grade.  at his school for each grade they have sets of teachers instead of one teacher per class.  this way if a teacher knows more about math than science she can teach just that and the kids benefit from learning from a person about their expertise.  he has 3 teachers and they all say he is a good kid and knows how to do what is asked but just gets lazy it seems.  i get constant notes telling me that they are worried about my son's work ethic.  he has a 47 in math right now.  i see super low grades coming home.  he has brought home worksheets with a 0 grade because he got it all wrong.  yet when i have him sit down at the table to correct it all he gets nearly everyone correct with no help from me.  i don't want to accidentally give him the answer while i'm helping him so i wait till he's done and check over it.  homework is a struggle to get him to do it but once he's doing it he gets it done with minimal corrections needed.  

i am wondering if he is bored.  last year his teachers requested i put in an application for him to be given the gifted test but something happened and i never even got his results.  

i am just really worried.  he has always been an A student.  what should i do?  should i talk to his teacher about him getting the gifted test again?

I use multi-million dollar satellites to find tupperwear in the woods.
What's your hobby?
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Replies (11-11):
TempestRayne
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Have him tested again. And also talk to him to se.if anything or anyone is bothering him. If everything is okay, get on to him for not doing his best. If my oldest brings home a.low grade.in a subject she excellent at, I usually put her on restriction until she brings home a grade that is her normal. That usually only takes a couple of days, LOL.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN