Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Would you treat acne at almost 12?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM
  • 30 Replies
I wish my parents had been more proactive in trying to treat those pesky little bumps on my forehead and nose. But Mom always said, soap and water is the best and harsh chemicals will damage your skin. 20 years later, I still suffer with acne but control it with prescription medication and facials.

My daughter is nearing the age of 12. She has not started her menstrual period yet. But I think she is getting pretty close. Over the last month she has started having break outs on her forehead. Just little small bumps that don't turn in to huge cysts or anything. But enough that it annoys her. And they are red on her pale skin tone. I've also noticed she has a few spots on her shoulders and back.

Currently she is washing her face twice a day with cetaphil. I chose this because it is what I use as suggested by my dermatologist. She pulls her hair back out of her face at night. Most days she wears her hair pulled back any way. Her pediatrician diagnosed her last summer with seborrheic dermatitis. She has over active oil glands on her scalp. I am wondering if its not just on her scalp. k

Is 11/12 too young for a stronger treatment? Meaning like clearasil or an acne fighting wash with benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid?

Anyone used something that worked or didn't work? Side effects? Burning? Dry skin?

Thanks for the input.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Why wouldn't you let her use clearasil?  My 9 year old and 12 year old both use it.  I don't see any good reason to let a child go through their tween/teen years with zits all over their face when there are products available to treat it.  I would start with clearasil or something similar and see how that goes.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Yes. My 11 year old got a prescription for acne last summer his pediatrician.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Nope, most contain salycitic acid which is prescribed for acne, eczema, and mild psoriasis . My infant uses it for bad breakouts of eczema.
Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I use a cleanser with salycitic acid, and the ones I have bought my son has that ingredient too. Originally, I got him a face wash, but I recently bought him the clearasil pads.

January1964
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Salicylic acid works for me.

momof2ex1
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM
That is why I am asking. :/ this just started. It's not been a full blown zit attack. It's only on her forehead and i would like to do something but not sure where to start with such sensitive young skin.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Why wouldn't you let her use clearasil?  My 9 year old and 12 year old both use it.  I don't see any good reason to let a child go through their tween/teen years with zits all over their face when there are products available to treat it.  I would start with clearasil or something similar and see how that goes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Do you find that the pads work well? Is a moisturizer needed? I can't use a moisturizer as it breaks me out worse.

Quoting Barabell:

I use a cleanser with salycitic acid, and the ones I have bought my son has that ingredient too. Originally, I got him a face wash, but I recently bought him the clearasil pads.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM
No you wouldn't treat it or no she isn't too young? Thanks!!

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Nope, most contain salycitic acid which is prescribed for acne, eczema, and mild psoriasis . My infant uses it for bad breakouts of eczema.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I just bought them like two weeks ago. It says that you use it on clean skin and start out with only one a day. It seems to have helped my son's skin some. He wears a helmet, and so he has issues along his forehead/hairline area because of where it rubs and sweats.

Quoting momof2ex1:

Do you find that the pads work well? Is a moisturizer needed? I can't use a moisturizer as it breaks me out worse.

Quoting Barabell:

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM
She isn't too young

Quoting momof2ex1:

No you wouldn't treat it or no she isn't too young? Thanks!!

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)