Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Would you treat acne at almost 12?

Posted by   + Show Post
I wish my parents had been more proactive in trying to treat those pesky little bumps on my forehead and nose. But Mom always said, soap and water is the best and harsh chemicals will damage your skin. 20 years later, I still suffer with acne but control it with prescription medication and facials.

My daughter is nearing the age of 12. She has not started her menstrual period yet. But I think she is getting pretty close. Over the last month she has started having break outs on her forehead. Just little small bumps that don't turn in to huge cysts or anything. But enough that it annoys her. And they are red on her pale skin tone. I've also noticed she has a few spots on her shoulders and back.

Currently she is washing her face twice a day with cetaphil. I chose this because it is what I use as suggested by my dermatologist. She pulls her hair back out of her face at night. Most days she wears her hair pulled back any way. Her pediatrician diagnosed her last summer with seborrheic dermatitis. She has over active oil glands on her scalp. I am wondering if its not just on her scalp. k

Is 11/12 too young for a stronger treatment? Meaning like clearasil or an acne fighting wash with benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid?

Anyone used something that worked or didn't work? Side effects? Burning? Dry skin?

Thanks for the input.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Replies (21-30):
ThinkAgainMom
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Salicylic acid (Burt's Bees products) and clearisil for benzol peroxide.  She alternates.  As long as she washes her hair every day, Burts Bees seems to keep it under control.

Madammeke
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Yes, I purchase anything possible to curb the outbreaks. A good skin is important to all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wenchmommy381
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I love Noxzema as a kid-- it just felt really cool.

supermomz25
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I just found a new product for my son to try. it's made by neutrogena. so far so good.

kmrtigger
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM

We use stidex for my boys. I have had very few issues. My 11 year had one or two zits on his nose before we began using them.

If the issue were to get worse or the stridex wasn't working, I would switch to something else, and then if that failed talk to their doctor about seeing a dermatologist. Or maybe try proactive. My neighbor/friend's son and daughter  use it and it is wonderful.

mamavalor
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM

DD started having a very oily scalp and dandruff a year before she started menstrating.  We used Selsun Blue and Head 'n Shoulders.  Once she started her period her head was fine.  Now she just gets a pimple here or there and we dab on some toothpaste in the evening before she goes to bed or when she's lounging around the house.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:59 PM
I agree about chemicals being too harsh. Often they can cause more acne instead of clearing it up. I had acne for years, as a kid up until I was about 30. I started using this natural cleansing recipe. It works. It works for my kid too, and it isn't harsh. It's
20 oz water, 1 bunch of fresh parsley, juice of 1 lemon or about 2 tbs. boil the water, add the parsley, let it steep for about 20 minutes. Strain out the parsley, add the lemon juice and store in the refrigerator for up to a month. Just pour a little on a cloth or cotton ball and wipe your face with it. No rinsing necessary. Cheap and easy.
My friend has cystic acne, and it does help, but doesn't clear hers up completely. She spent years trying prescription washes, etc. and they didn't work, but she started using desert essence tea tree oil face wash and within a month her skin looked awesome! And most of the scarring seems like its fading somewhat. You might try that if the lemon/parsley wash isn't strong enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM
I really was beginning to wonder if I was the only one that felt her skin is too sensitive. It might have helped if I had given some background along with the post. I bought some Clean and clear cream cleanser for oily skin. I use it off and on. It seems to clean the pores very deeply which is needed and it feels good too. Dd tried it a couple of times and each time she has patchy read spots and little bumps like an allergic reaction. So that is really why I'm so hesitant. She's always been kind of sensitive to things. She has baby soft skin everywhere except on her forehead which recently looks like an oil field. Very shiny and bumpy with little whiteheads. It's like she needs something to dry up that oil only in that one area.

I have gotten some great ideas here and I really appreciate all the in put. I might try this natural cleanser on me since I struggle. Is this what helped to clear up your skin? Like I said I struggle with acne. Mine is so weird though. Not cysts or anything too big. My dr says it's not bad and it's not very noticable to the eye. I can feel the bumps on my cheeks and I mess with it a lot.

Quoting Zamaria:

I agree about chemicals being too harsh. Often they can cause more acne instead of clearing it up. I had acne for years, as a kid up until I was about 30. I started using this natural cleansing recipe. It works. It works for my kid too, and it isn't harsh. It's

20 oz water, 1 bunch of fresh parsley, juice of 1 lemon or about 2 tbs. boil the water, add the parsley, let it steep for about 20 minutes. Strain out the parsley, add the lemon juice and store in the refrigerator for up to a month. Just pour a little on a cloth or cotton ball and wipe your face with it. No rinsing necessary. Cheap and easy.

My friend has cystic acne, and it does help, but doesn't clear hers up completely. She spent years trying prescription washes, etc. and they didn't work, but she started using desert essence tea tree oil face wash and within a month her skin looked awesome! And most of the scarring seems like its fading somewhat. You might try that if the lemon/parsley wash isn't strong enough.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zamaria
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:53 AM
I had very oily but sensitive skin. I use the lemon and parsley wash when it's humid or hot because my skin is always worse then, and Tom of Maine's chamomile bar soap in the shower. The lemon parsley stuff cleared my skin up, but I found that I don't really need to use it very often any more. After about two weeks of using that and the chamomile soap, my face doesn't get oily anymore unless it's humid or really hot. I don't use the desert essence stuff, I tried it and it was too drying for my skin. It works great for stubborn acne, but you have to use a moisturizer with it. Using harsh chemicals regularly will cause your skin to produce more oil trying to replace what it has lost, which causes more pimples. You definately aren't alone in thinking she shouldn't use them! My son uses the lemon parsley stuff but not the chamomile soap. It has really cleared him up too. He does get a pimple or two every now and then, but they aren't big, and they go away in a day or so. If he gets a stubborn one, he puts a little straight lemon juice on it with a Q tip. That clears it right up.
It sounds like your acne may be similar to what I had. It's not real obvious, but annoying! You should try the lemon parsley stuff, and try really really hard not to pick at it.
Also consider switching to a natural shampoo. Nature's Gate makes an excellent tea tree shampoo that really helps stop your scalp from getting oily, which can help clear up your skin if oily hair is a problem for you. It is for me! I could wash my hair at bedtime and wake up in the morning and it would need to be washed again. Super oily. But again, the harsh chemicals cause over drying, which causes overproduction of oil, so when I switched to natural shampoo, I stopped having a problem with it.

Quoting momof2ex1:

I really was beginning to wonder if I was the only one that felt her skin is too sensitive. It might have helped if I had given some background along with the post. I bought some Clean and clear cream cleanser for oily skin. I use it off and on. It seems to clean the pores very deeply which is needed and it feels good too. Dd tried it a couple of times and each time she has patchy read spots and little bumps like an allergic reaction. So that is really why I'm so hesitant. She's always been kind of sensitive to things. She has baby soft skin everywhere except on her forehead which recently looks like an oil field. Very shiny and bumpy with little whiteheads. It's like she needs something to dry up that oil only in that one area.

I have gotten some great ideas here and I really appreciate all the in put. I might try this natural cleanser on me since I struggle. Is this what helped to clear up your skin? Like I said I struggle with acne. Mine is so weird though. Not cysts or anything too big. My dr says it's not bad and it's not very noticable to the eye. I can feel the bumps on my cheeks and I mess with it a lot.

Quoting Zamaria:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandi0913
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:15 AM
No its not to young my dd12 uses clearasil her dermatologist told us about a year ago we could start to use it and see if it works if it didnt he said to try some other otc stuff till we.found what works but to try each for about 2 months before switching. Gl to your daughter. My dd also uses antibacterial face and body wash in shower.

Quoting momof2ex1:

I wish my parents had been more proactive in trying to treat those pesky little bumps on my forehead and nose. But Mom always said, soap and water is the best and harsh chemicals will damage your skin. 20 years later, I still suffer with acne but control it with prescription medication and facials.

My daughter is nearing the age of 12. She has not started her menstrual period yet. But I think she is getting pretty close. Over the last month she has started having break outs on her forehead. Just little small bumps that don't turn in to huge cysts or anything. But enough that it annoys her. And they are red on her pale skin tone. I've also noticed she has a few spots on her shoulders and back.

Currently she is washing her face twice a day with cetaphil. I chose this because it is what I use as suggested by my dermatologist. She pulls her hair back out of her face at night. Most days she wears her hair pulled back any way. Her pediatrician diagnosed her last summer with seborrheic dermatitis. She has over active oil glands on her scalp. I am wondering if its not just on her scalp. k

Is 11/12 too young for a stronger treatment? Meaning like clearasil or an acne fighting wash with benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid?

Anyone used something that worked or didn't work? Side effects? Burning? Dry skin?

Thanks for the input.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN