Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Limits

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:36 PM
  • 11 Replies

Do you still place limits on your tweens?  You know for things like:

Soda:

Candy/junk food:

TV/Screen time:

Staying up late:

Anything else?

If you do limit when do you plan on stopping?

When mine were little l limited most of these but as they've gotten older I limit less and less. Well...I'm still pretty strict about screen time but that's b/c mine would do nothing else if I let them.

There is a family that lives down the street from us that limits everything.  I'm not passing judgement. That's fine for them but at some point you have to let your kids self limit. I'm wondering when that is for most people.

Also it seems like mine are getting a lot of candy from school and other activities. Case in point. Last night they went to a church function and each came how with a bag of skittles. There was a day in the past when I would have thought that was horrible. Maybe I've just turned into the slackest parent ever.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM

IDK, my boys have gotten pretty good at limiting themselves on most things.  I don't have really any limits set in stone any longer, other than bedtime on school nights.  I will ask them to do something else for awhile if it seems like they've been watching too much tv/playing too many video games, but that doesn't happen often at all.

Funny thing is, I don't recall when I stopped enforcing limits.  We certainly had them when they were little, but the older that they've gotten the less that I've cared about those limits that were very important when they were little.

wenchmommy381
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:27 PM

My kids don't like soda, but most drinks that are not water are limited to meal times. The other stuff I never really restricted, and staying up late is only for special occasions (New Year's Eve mostly, but I let my tween stay up for the Olympics Opening and Closing ceremonies).

mamarj
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM
My tween doesn't care for pop. She will drink it on occasion. I do have to limit her snacks, not cause of weight (she's a toothpick) but because she does it out of boredom. I don't limit TV time...we have 4 TV's in the house but she likes to hang out with us in the family room so she just watches what we are watching. She hardly ever goes and watches TV by herself. And bedtime on the weekends is when we go to bed. She is not a late nighter, to her 11:00 is usually her shut off point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:58 PM

yup!  I don't plan on really changing things until about middle school.

Rogue35
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Not really. I do try to give them a set bedtime.
wenchmommy381
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I think you just realize that there are more important issues than how much candy gets consumed at any one time. It's not like they're eating Skittles 3 times a day for a month...

wakymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Even my teen is still limited on all those things. Except tv time- I have it on most of the time b/c I like it for background noise; instead I limit how long each one can control the remote.

The only thing I see changing at any point would be bedtime. When I was about 15, my parents gave me a "room time"- I didn't have to go to sleep (I had to pay the consequences if I stayed awake too late), but I did have to be all ready for bed and stay in my rm (except for bathrm breaks) and be quiet so everyone else could go to sleep. I can see doing this in a couple yrs w/ ds1, and then ds2 and dd as they get older.

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I prefer to hang back and see what choices they'll make on their own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TempestRayne
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Yes I do, and I plan to limit things like that as long as I am paging for their food.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM

My DD just buys it and tells me I can't throw it out because SHE bought it

Quoting TempestRayne:

Yes I do, and I plan to limit things like that as long as I am paging for their food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)