Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthday parties- didn't you just have a birthday last year?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am so beyond disgusted with how birthdays are done in my husband's family. Until this year, we would get together for each person's birthday individually... his family is huge! Got to the point we were celebrating nearly every weekend.... NOT  how I want to spend my weekends.

I've decided this year that my children's birthdays with the family (with the exception of the baby, because it'll be her first) are going to be cake and coffee at the house. No huge get-togethers with large-scale catering. We also have chosen to go out to dinner on the birthday. 

Is that how you do birthdays?

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM

My boys don't go to school on their birthdays. My older two have summer birthdays so it's really my third son who misses the day, anyway they have a birthday party on the weekend before or after their birthday, not a HUGE thing just invite a few family, friends, and classmates from school. My immediate family goes out to the restaurant of the birthday boys choice that night. My older two (my teen and tween) don't have birthday parties anymore, they invite a few friends to go to a movie, bowling, laser tag or something and like I said we go out to eat the night of his birthday.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Other than their first birthday, we only ever have just cake and ice cream at home on the night of their actual birthday for family.  Those who can make it great, those who can't . . . *shrugs*

psych_mom
by Stacy on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM

We do a small party at home with family and one or two friends.

SuperLooneyMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Most bday a are at home or dinner with small amount of family.
Big celebrations are for 1,2,5,10,13,16,18 and 21. After that definitly low key bdays.

I find it a big hassle doing bday parties all every year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wenchmommy381
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I think what really bugged me was that I got grumblings from my in-laws about the party not being "enough" and I felt that it was going to be just fine.

And it was. 

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:51 PM
DD was born on Thanksgiving so I just get a cake and we sing after dinner when the whole family is there. DS was born a week before my dad's birthday so we do a joint celebration. I used to invite the whole family to their parties when the kids were younger but now they have parties with their friends but I do include grandparents and my nieces.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bookworm14
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Normally my parents, sister & her family get together for each birthday, where that person chooses the restaurant. We each pay for ourselves or family. Then we may get together for cake, ice cream or some other dessert at one's house after dinner. Its not usually some big fancy affair, just a big family dinner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Depends on whose birthday.

For my son, we throw a party to invite his friends. Usually, my mom and sisters will take him out separately. Sometimes my husband and I go to that dinner, but most often we do not.

My husband and I both have birthdays extremely close to Christmas, and so we rarely celebrate it. In the past, my mom has taken the whole family out for a birthday dinner to celebrate our birthdays in addition to my sister's birthday. It very often does not fall on anyone's particular birthday.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM

With our girls, we will have a birthday dinner and cake (or just cake) with my family and then a birthday party with their friends.  As they are getting older, I'm limiting the number of friends for their birthday to keep it small.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Quoting SuperLooneyMom:

Most bday a are at home or dinner with small amount of family.
Big celebrations are for 1,2,5,10,13,16,18 and 21. After that definitly low key bdays.

I find it a big hassle doing bday parties all every year.

How much do you do "big" compared to regular birthdays for these years?  I like the idea of it....i'm just wondering how it would be different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)