Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Valentines Day

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:48 PM
  • 25 Replies

Alright - our family isn't a big one for valentines day - DH gets me flowers, DD21 hates it (I suspect because she's single and it makes her feel crappy but my opinion on this is another story) but for some reason my DS9 has come home saying that he wants to give someone a valentine. He won't tell me who in the class. Our school doesn't have a policy but it just makes me uncomfortable. His class isn't doing anything and I've always been of the opinion that if it isn't a birthday party or a extremely close friend (who there would be a party for anyway) there's no present. But he just won't listen. He's telling me "It's MY money and I'll do what I want with it". The teacher herself says she's uncomfortable with romantic holidays for such young children. What's your rule and what should I do? (btw the money in question is money I'VE given to him for some special chores - it's not b'day money or anything)

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I think that is very sweet of him.  I wouldn't have a problem but I would like to know the type of "valentine" he would give.  I don't think you should look into it any more than what it is.  I don't think Valentine's necessary means "romance".  I remember giving valentine gifts to my best friends in school.

GleekingOut
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM

He said he wants to go the whole flowers and chocolates and a card. And it is to a girl (although admittedly with our school's tolerance I would be against more if it were a boy). But I'm just not comfortable with this. It just feels too mature.

Quoting M4LG5:

I think that is very sweet of him.  I wouldn't have a problem but I would like to know the type of "valentine" he would give.  I don't think you should look into it any more than what it is.  I don't think Valentine's necessary means "romance".  I remember giving valentine gifts to my best friends in school.

Rogue35
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM
How old is he? I would want to know more about the relationship between the two of them.
psych_mom
by Stacy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM

How about a compromise? He can give her some chocolates, but that is all. Or chocolate and a card that is for friends? That way you have some control over how "romantic" it is and he still gets to give her something.

GleekingOut
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM

9 - and as far as I know he's barely even spoken to this girl before - her friend told him that's what she wanted.

Quoting Rogue35:

How old is he? I would want to know more about the relationship between the two of them.

GleekingOut
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM

He barely knows her. I don't even think he knows what romance is - I just found out that he's doing this because the girl's friend came up to my son and said "____ told me that she'll like you if you do this for her" SMH

Quoting psych_mom:

How about a compromise? He can give her some chocolates, but that is all. Or chocolate and a card that is for friends? That way you have some control over how "romantic" it is and he still gets to give her something.

psych_mom
by Stacy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM

In that case, I would completely discourage it. If he is only doing it because of something someone else told him then nope. It sounds as if the girl is trying to get free candy and gifts on V Day.

Quoting GleekingOut:

He barely knows her. I don't even think he knows what romance is - I just found out that he's doing this because the girl's friend came up to my son and said "____ told me that she'll like you if you do this for her" SMH

Quoting psych_mom:

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Yikes!

Quoting GleekingOut:

Quoting psych_mom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM

What about the fact that he's telling me that he's going to do it anyway because it's his money? I can stop it while he's with me but what if my mum takes him shopping or DH?

Quoting psych_mom:

In that case, I would completely discourage it. If he is only doing it because of something someone else told him then nope. It sounds as if the girl is trying to get free candy and gifts on V Day.

Quoting GleekingOut:

Quoting psych_mom:

psych_mom
by Stacy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Let them know that you don't want him buying her anything.

Quoting GleekingOut:

What about the fact that he's telling me that he's going to do it anyway because it's his money? I can stop it while he's with me but what if my mum takes him shopping or DH?

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting GleekingOut:

Quoting psych_mom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)