Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Is this to harsh?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:30 PM
  • 8 Replies

My 10 year old daughters birthday is coming up. I walk into her room and it is a disaster. No food thank god we don't allow food upstairs, but the garbage is full, clothes all over the floor, toys everywhere.  This is after I told her this weekend to clean her room. I really am really annoyed at the thought of having to buy more stuff for her birthday to add to her floor collection.  Would it be to harsh to tell her that I'm not buying her anything else for her birthday?  I really don't know how to get it into her head that her life will run better if it is organized. I can't stand to see my money all over the floor.  What would you do? I already have a car full of her stuff that I picked up off the floor last month that I am holding until I see it look like a kids room not the isles at Ross. I have taken away her phone, moved her stuff to my car, restriction, what else? I don't want to throw it away becuase then I'll have to replace her clothes.

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Maries_Mom23
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Before birthday/Christmas, we go through their stuff and they choose items to donate.  I would have her donate stuff she no longer plays with.  

wenchmommy381
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM

You can't really tell a kid to "just clean up" and expect it to work. Make sure there is a place for everything and watch her put everything in place on a regular basis.

Does she have a clothes hamper? Does she put her trash in a can outside, or put the bag in the kitchen trash bag? Perhaps it's time to re-clarify your expectations.

momtimesx4
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

Before birthday/Christmas, we go through their stuff and they choose items to donate.  I would have her donate stuff she no longer plays with.  

this

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I still stand at my 13 yr olds door and " direct"
him. As adults, we get overwhelmed by our "own" mess.... Kiddos do, too. I direct him starting with a section at a time or a " toy" group and work until it's done. The grin of walking the floor for him is much of an accomplishment for me as it is him.

This is the longest it's been clean! Since two weeks before Christmas! :-)

I agree, she needs a place for everything so everything had a place. We have cubbies , drawers on rollers, bins under the bed on rollers....whatever it takes
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gravercem
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM

We have a rule that if their rooms are not clean then they cannot go outside, or anywhere for that matter.  Our three boys share a room so it does tend to get messy but we have found that having that rule really helps get the room picked up everyday.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting gravercem:

We have a rule that if their rooms are not clean then they cannot go outside, or anywhere for that matter.  Our three boys share a room so it does tend to get messy but we have found that having that rule really helps get the room picked up everyday.

and really fast!!! haha

I have 3 girls that share a room as well.  Actually, it was 2 rooms but we took the wall down in between.  My 9 year old has her side....which tends to be clothes that can be easily put away.  My 6 year old twins' side tend to be coloring books, papers and a few toys.  If they want something or want to go somewhere, they have to have their roomed cleaned and....WOW! I don't know if I see them move as fast as they do. haha

gravercem
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I know we used to do the bagging up of their room and make them earn the stuff back, but really all that happen was I cleaned their room!  I love having this rule as it gets them to do the cleaning. 

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting gravercem:

and really fast!!! haha

I have 3 girls that share a room as well.  Actually, it was 2 rooms but we took the wall down in between.  My 9 year old has her side....which tends to be clothes that can be easily put away.  My 6 year old twins' side tend to be coloring books, papers and a few toys.  If they want something or want to go somewhere, they have to have their roomed cleaned and....WOW! I don't know if I see them move as fast as they do. haha

Rogue35
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:34 PM
I have the same problem. I have 3 girls that share a room. The younger ones pull out all the toys and don't want to put them away. Good Luck with figuring out what to do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN