Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

This is why I believe it's important for parents to get involved.....

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

when we become involved parents, our kids learn to give back, to have empathy, to want to help.  We become role models in so many positive ways. 

I'm so proud of my oldest daughter.  She plays sports on teams outside of school but in the fall she participated on the track club and choir as well.  As of now, she is continuing choir (track ended), worked hard to be on student council (got it), and was even voted as secretary as a 4th grader.  As of today, she will also serve as a tutor for 2nd graders.  By the way, typically only 5th and 6th graders can serve as tutors but since she is on student council and her teacher believes she can tutor, they made an exception. 

I don't know that my involvement (even though I work full time) in their school as the Box Tops Coordinator, PTA, Little League Board, and their sports coach has anything to do with why she wants to get involved.......but in my head, I will think that.  :)

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
psych_mom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:49 AM

That is awesome! Way to go. I don't really participate with the school, but I am always there to cheer my kids on, go to chorus concerts, field trips and what have you. I just can't get into those things (PTO and such) for personal reasons.

I do think that she is modeling after you. We do what we learn and if you are involved in all those things she will be involved as much as she can as well.

emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I has a lot to do with it.  Kudos to you and your daughter!

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Quoting psych_mom:

That is awesome! Way to go. I don't really participate with the school, but I am always there to cheer my kids on, go to chorus concerts, field trips and what have you. I just can't get into those things (PTO and such) for personal reasons.

I do think that she is modeling after you. We do what we learn and if you are involved in all those things she will be involved as much as she can as well.

I believe that there are so many ways to get involved....not just the typical PTA, classroom stuff.  As long as you are involved, it matters.

What's funny is that a whole bunch of kids in our area want to go to the local charter school.  Academically, it's not THAT much better than the rest of the public schools around here.  A lot of the excuses to go there is "parent involvement" because there is a mandatory 30 hour requirement.  Hmmmm....if parents could do that no matter what, it shouldn't matter what school they go to.

psych_mom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Hmmm... I wonder if that is a requirement at the charter school my son is going to be attending- eekkk, lol. Between going to school full time for my master's and possibly working, that won't be good, lol.

I believe schools are what the community as a whole makes them, not just what is taught in the class room. I think a lot of people don't realize this, send their kids to school and never step foot into the building unless the school specifically request it of them. To me, that is so sad. Do something to get to know your kids school- talk to the teachers, at least offer support (I do this every year and if the teachers have needed me to come in and read or something I have done it) and show your child that you care about it.

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting psych_mom:

I believe that there are so many ways to get involved....not just the typical PTA, classroom stuff.  As long as you are involved, it matters.

What's funny is that a whole bunch of kids in our area want to go to the local charter school.  Academically, it's not THAT much better than the rest of the public schools around here.  A lot of the excuses to go there is "parent involvement" because there is a mandatory 30 hour requirement.  Hmmmm....if parents could do that no matter what, it shouldn't matter what school they go to.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Quoting psych_mom:

I agree with what you said. I have a hard time getting involved in the PTO, but I'm very involved in my son's academics and extracircular activities. Two years ago, I almost missed one of my son's games during a tournament, and he was actually trying to comfort me because I was so upset about the possibility of missing a game...LOL

Rogue35
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:06 PM
That is awesome for you daughter. I agree it is good when kids learn to give back. I also think it is good to be involved with your childs school. I think it helps you see issues that the school has to deal with.
Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting psych_mom:

I get YOUR point exactly.

Maybe you could suggest this to the school's PTO. My son's PTO would make it clear to parents how much the cost per student they had to raise every year in funds, and they were good about taking direct donations in lieu of selling junk. So I would try to donate directly to them once or twice a year.

To compete with the charter school and up parent involvement, maybe set a goal for parents to volunteer so many hours or to estimate how many hours of volunteer hours the PTO needs to run effectively and break down how many hours that is per family. Continue pushing that info in the newletters and fliers when asking for PTO volunteers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)