Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Either prices are going up or I'm not shopping as good as I used to

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 9 Replies

Not that long ago, I used to be able to do my weekly grocery shopping for a family of 5 and not pay more than $100 (if that).  Now, I'm finding myself going over $100 easily.....even up to $130.  I'm thinking that maybe I'm not planning as much as I used to but at the same time, I am also trying to get healthier foods (i.e. more fresh fruit, veggies, and white meat).  I know that makes a difference but I need to revisit my shopping lists.

Also, there are not nearly enough coupons for me to use.  Most of the time, I see a coupon and it's "buy 3 and get $0.75 off"....yeah, i'm not buying 3 of those.  Also, I find that I can get the store brand cheaper too.

What's your trick for grocery shopping?  About how much do you pay per week (average)?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Barabell
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Prices ARE going up. :(

I do most of my grocery shopping at Super Target, and I do buy the store brand a lot. If you sign up for a Target Red debit card, it comes directly out of your checking and you get 5% all purchases. Since most food is tax free, it does add up a little more in savings. Plus, I can use Target coupons in conjunction with manufacturer coupons.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Prices ARE going up. :(

I do most of my grocery shopping at Super Target, and I do buy the store brand a lot. If you sign up for a Target Red debit card, it comes directly out of your checking and you get 5% all purchases. Since most food is tax free, it does add up a little more in savings. Plus, I can use Target coupons in conjunction with manufacturer coupons.

We have a Super Walmart....not a Super Target.  I would absolutely love a Super Target because I think they do have more coupons.

RatherBeReading
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM

We budget $130 a week for everything...groceries, cleaning supplies, toiletries and cat food. We are getting ready to up it to $150 because I keep going over. I do not coupon though, as everything I want to get is cheaper buying generic over brand minus the coupon. I have a friend that is super at couponing and she is going to teach me.

Lorena
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Prices are going up.
With that said I don't do a lot of couponing but I shop at Walmart. I do a lot of price matching so I do not have to run to a bunch of stores to get better prices.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaytee
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM

everything is going up except paychecks!!

Barabell
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Quoting jaytee:

everything is going up except paychecks!!

I know. It sucks.

Well, except the ratio of what the executives make compared to their average employee has been going up.

paywatch2012_skyrocket_chart
wenchmommy381
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I could have written this post, word for word.

I'm usually ok as long as I don't take my husband to the supermarket with me! He's always buying stuff that isn't on the list. It's never terribly expensive, but it really adds up!

I save money by going to the produce market unless there's a really good price for produce at the regular supermarket. 

I hate couponing, but lately I have found better ones coming out of the checkout coupon printer ($1 off ONE item-- can you imagine?!?!) So I'm more likely to get them.

And I know it sounds kind of sneaky, but if you ever find something that it horribly bad (we once bought tuna that was so off, we couldn't eat anything for lunch that day!), go ahead and complain to the company. We got several coupons for free product. You can't save money all the time, but you deserve to not have wasted your money. 

AlyssaN
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM
I average $90-$120 a week for 6 people. We eat lots of casseroles and soups. I shop at a local store like a super Walmart with similar prices. Prices are going up .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Lately, I've been saving money by shopping at Fare for All twice a month, which is basically a local cooperative food sharing program. It's only local though. Right after work, I'm going to an express site to pick up some food.

Basically, they buy food in bulk. Usually the meat is close to the expiration date when they buy it, but they freeze the meat  and provide fresh produce. They resell it with very little overhead. They encourage anyone to buy food from them because the more people that participate, the better pricing power they can get, and the lower the prices get.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN