Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Advice Needed: My 12 year old duaghter got her period and won't admit to it.

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM
  • 10 Replies

Does anyone know what I should do? My oldest Daughter is 12 almost 13. I think she might have her period, but she has not told me.I have a niece that has it and is at my house a lot.My daughter says it is her cousin...I don't think it is. Every time i ask my daughter she says no. I have found stained underwear in her  dirty clothes. I also have found pad rappers in the bathroom trash. What do I do? Any advice will be helpful.

Mariyah

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justahousewife
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM
My 11yr started last Wednesday. She came and told me as soon as she noticed. I can't imagine why a girl would lie about it. Is there a reason she wouldn't be comfortable talking about it with you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nebcutie
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
With your dd cause every child handles it differently... i would go get a box of the teen pads if you havent already and give them to her in private, tell her i thought you should have these just in case and if you have questions i am here. I would also tell her if and when she does pay attention to when she starts so that when next month comes and she can be alert to the feels she had and any signs so she can avoid being un prepared at school. Maybe even a coin purse or pencil pouch for her to keep them in at school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM

hmmm...that's tough.  I'm really hoping that the open conversations my 9 year old and i have means that she will be open about when she starts.  If what you describe happened to me, i think the way I would talk with her is that I would approach her and say that "I noticed your clothes and pad rappers in the trash.  I know that your cousin already has hers so I'm curious as to if you had yours yet?  If not, do you have questions about being ready for it to happen?"  Then just have a nice mom and daughter talk about my own experience and telling my mom and that telling my mom made it feel easier to handle because she understood.  So, "if there is anything you want to tell me or ask me, I'll be here."

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM

This is really good advice. 

She may not be talking about it because she's embarrassed, doesn't want to grow up or just shy.  Try to keep those lines of communication open though and let her know that she can talk to you about anything.

Quoting nebcutie:

With your dd cause every child handles it differently... i would go get a box of the teen pads if you havent already and give them to her in private, tell her i thought you should have these just in case and if you have questions i am here. I would also tell her if and when she does pay attention to when she starts so that when next month comes and she can be alert to the feels she had and any signs so she can avoid being un prepared at school. Maybe even a coin purse or pencil pouch for her to keep them in at school.

mamarj
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM
I didn't want to talk about it AT ALL with my mom! It was so hard to tell her that I had started and she got all excited and wanted to show me how to use the pads and I had already figured it out. I was just very embarrassed talking about personal stuff with my parents. In would just buy her what she needs and let her know its there if she needs it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmchicc100
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Thanks I will do that!!!

mary8801
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM

My daughter is 11 and she hasn't started yet, she really doesn't want to tak about it with me either. We have had THE TALK but she is shy when it comes to that. So you could do what I have done; give her what she needs like pads and let her know that you're there to talk to her when she's ready. My daughter has started asking quick, short questions and I just try to answer them but she also has a big sister so she can talk to her as well. Anyway, good luck.

MommaB55
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Quoting mamarj:

I didn't want to talk about it AT ALL with my mom! It was so hard to tell her that I had started and she got all excited and wanted to show me how to use the pads and I had already figured it out. I was just very embarrassed talking about personal stuff with my parents. In would just buy her what she needs and let her know its there if she needs it.

I was the EXACT same way.  The more my mom tried to talk about it, the less I wanted to.  I didn't want to grow up or any part of that "icky" stuff that went with it, I just wanted to pretend it wasn't happening.  Just like mamarj said, make sure she has what she needs, let her know you're there if she wants, and then leave her be.

bookworm14
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM
I remember mine starting when my mom was out of town! Ended up having my big sister help me with things cuz my mom didn't address it beforehand & I wasn't ready. Your daughter may not want to talk about it, but its a good idea to have her prepared for when it starts and to also have her know she can come to you with anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmchicc100
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:04 AM

My daughter is usually very shy. She doesn't like 2 talk about this stuff.Thanks!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN