Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do your kids have an after school schedule?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM
  • 4 Replies

I'm a single mom of 5 kids & I work M-F 8-5. My DDs (ages 13 & almost 12) go to the same middle school & get home about 3:15 every day. My oldest (16yo DS) gets home at 4pm daily. My 9yo DS goes to a daycare near his school for transportation reasons. My 3yo DS goes to the daycare I work at. 

When I get home my kids are either finishing up homework, doing chores, or on the computer. It's chaos when I get home. So I devised a schedule for them. Today is only day 1 of this but so far, so good. I have had the TV on but had to turn it off when DD#2 was distracted from folding laundry.

The only one not on a schedule is the 3yo DS...right now it's 7:15 & he has been sitting at the dinner table for over an hour because... well he's 3. He gets distracted easily! LOL But he knows if he doesn't eat he can not play video games.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mamavalor
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Boy, you are good!  We have no where near the organization you have at your house! 

CampClan
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:12 AM
It comes from hhaving 5 kids- 4 of which are in school! It took me half the year to reaalize we need this. I even set an alarm on the older DD's cell so they know when time is up. If they are not done with home work in the hour given they have to finish it after dinner when I have allotted video game time.

What is hard is the 3yo who doesn't have a schedule. I need to figure outt what to do with him. Maybe find a learning app on my phone for him?

Quoting mamavalor:

Boy, you are good!  We have no where near the organization you have at your house! 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:19 AM

I don't don't think what we have is a schedule so much as a routine. Ds1 gets home at 3, relaxes while having a snack for 30 mins (sometimes an hr if he doesn't have much homework), then he starts homework. Ds2 and dd get home at 4, get a snack, and either play w/ friends or watch tv and play on their own until about 5:30 when they do any homework they have. Dinner is around 7 w/ bedtime at 9. I admit, none of them have much in the way of chores, and there is no set time to do them, just when we tell them to.

sol4J
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Your desire to be a great mom tells me that you love your kids very much.  You are not alone - it is good you have reached out to others for support. We are all cheering you on spirit. It is hard being a single parent, and I just encourage you to press on; there is no great investment you can make. While you wait for others to respond, I thought I'd share my own thoughts.  Just don't worry if everything doesn't get done or if you are running behind schedule. The most important thing is raising happy and healthy kids. I also want to let you know that there is good information on the Focus' websites for single parents and is here and here.  I am aware of a couple of books that might help you on your parenting task.  The first one is "Single parenting that Works" by Dr. Leman" and the other is "My Single Mom Life" by Angela Thomas. Check them out when you can.  Hugs to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)