Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS 11 Says he cant sleep.

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:19 AM
  • 24 Replies

I have been arguing with him for a couple months over this.  He was told to take Melatonin by Doctors because it was safe but I watched that Oz show and it was negative.  I have tried getting my son to scale back on it so hes not dependant on the stuff.  He takes once inawhile now but not all the time.    Anyway.. as a mom, I think its the tv, the kindle electronics that keep him from not sleeping.  I have tried no TV at all, the radio etc.  After I go to bed he gets up and eats and In know hes staying up longer.  Constant battle.. but I do fall asleep so I dont always hear him up.  He says he needs to see a doctor because he cant sleep.. I think they will tell him the same things I say and I know they wont give him sleeping pills.   But he keeps saying I dont care.  I do care and am getting concerned.  He is 11 but even when he was young he never napped and seemed to always go on very little sleep thats the reason the melatonin was prescribed/ suggested by a couple different doctors.  Has anyone ever dealt with a child who couldnt sleep?   I really dont want him taking any other medications.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catngabsmom
by Erica on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:28 AM

yep, my daughter!!! she is the same exact way!!! the only pill they can give at this age to help a child sleep is a blood pressure medication, it lowers their blood pressure to a level that is about average for their sleeping blood pressure, so i refuse to give that one, we no longer do melatonin either. the only thing i have found is to keep her on a consistent schedule and keep her busy all day and the later activities being more low key and mellow. does your son take any ADD/ADHD meds?

tiredmama42
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM

They said he had ADHD, ODD, PTSD, and tried a few different kinds of medications but somehow he got better with issues and a new therapist said he was fine didnt need medication any longer.  Thats been a year now.   I keep wondering though.. I think he may really have the ADHD

Quoting catngabsmom:

yep, my daughter!!! she is the same exact way!!! the only pill they can give at this age to help a child sleep is a blood pressure medication, it lowers their blood pressure to a level that is about average for their sleeping blood pressure, so i refuse to give that one, we no longer do melatonin either. the only thing i have found is to keep her on a consistent schedule and keep her busy all day and the later activities being more low key and mellow. does your son take any ADD/ADHD meds?

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, we did melatonin for awhile.... Until I heard him screaming unbed at three am and crying that he still couldn't sleep. That when I found out he'd been so desperate for rest he took SIX melatonin I the hopes the insomnia would stop. I slept with him that night as that has always helped and got him to the dr the next day. He was put On clonidine which is is actully a low bp pill. It does not work at all as a low bp pill but a major side effect is drowsiness so it is prescribed to many kids who suffer from insomnia .
In two weeks, the circles around his eyes were gone, he was smiling and looked much less like a character from the Walking Dead.

I need to add, my son was able to stay in a completely dark room and maybe get a half hour sleep and still stay on the honor roll. I should also add, he's has had insomnia
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Yes, we did melatonin for awhile.... Until I heard him screaming unbed at three am and crying that he still couldn't sleep. That when I found out he'd been so desperate for rest he took SIX melatonin I the hopes the insomnia would stop. I slept with him that night as that has always helped and got him to the dr the next day. He was put On clonidine which is is actully a low bp pill. It does not work at all as a low bp pill but a major side effect is drowsiness so it is prescribed to many kids who suffer from insomnia .
In two weeks, the circles around his eyes were gone, he was smiling and looked much less like a character from the Walking Dead.

I need to add, my son was able to stay in a completely dark room and maybe get a half hour sleep and still stay on the honor roll. I should also add, he's has had insomnia since fourth grade, before a Tv in his room, before tablets, we've never had the Internet . Idk what mine's problem is, he says it isn't anxiety.

I'm just saying , yes I understand. The clonidine is really such a low dose that he can't really get" addicted" or sell it? Ya know? But it helps HIM REST and no longer gets teased about purple eye shadow around like a raccoon, his grades haven't changed, but he is happier about his grades and happier here at home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catngabsmom
by Erica on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM

when you have ADHD your mind literally never stops, it is like the energizer bunny and it carries over into the physical body. ADHD, ODD, PTSD never go away, they can be managed through therapy and life experience, but an 11 year old does not have the cognitive maturity to rationalize behaviors and come up with coping mechanisms. i would talk to your doctor again about therapy options that might help, some may be medical, some may be behavioral. For my daughter, keeping her on a consistent schedule, daily meds, and making sure she eats well (the ADHD meds kill her appetite) seem to work.

Quoting tiredmama42:

They said he had ADHD, ODD, PTSD, and tried a few different kinds of medications but somehow he got better with issues and a new therapist said he was fine didnt need medication any longer.  Thats been a year now.   I keep wondering though.. I think he may really have the ADHD

Quoting catngabsmom:

Erica

Mom to
Caterina-11
Gabriella-9.5
tiredmama42
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:07 AM

We had a therapist that each time we walked in she referred to him having a different diagnosis.  She would say he had ADHD then when back refer to the PTSD.  She was not consistant. It was disturbing and she couldnt remember medications etc.  The next one said he didnt need medication just a little more structure.   He was on the numerous different meds with the first one and nothing seemed to change his behavior.   Hes been better with being on nothing but I was thinking it was a bit more maturity or my new DH being involved.  His brother is 19 and still takes ADHD medication so I am thinking now.. he still has it.   He eats all the time too.. thats one of the things I was blaming the no sleep on.  He should be getting up and eating after we have all gone to bed.   Hes not fat at all but the kid eats often. 

Quoting catngabsmom:

when you have ADHD your mind literally never stops, it is like the energizer bunny and it carries over into the physical body. ADHD, ODD, PTSD never go away, they can be managed through therapy and life experience, but an 11 year old does not have the cognitive maturity to rationalize behaviors and come up with coping mechanisms. i would talk to your doctor again about therapy options that might help, some may be medical, some may be behavioral. For my daughter, keeping her on a consistent schedule, daily meds, and making sure she eats well (the ADHD meds kill her appetite) seem to work.

Quoting tiredmama42:

Quoting catngabsmom:

wenchmommy381
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM

My son said he was having bad dreams and his joints hurt. We give him calcium supplements (they're made for women, but he doesn't care that the packaging is pink) and he sleeps much better.... and has gotten quite a bit taller. We think he's growing slowly instead of in spurts and his bones were hurting him as they grew. It was even affecting him while he slept, which caused nightmares and insomnia.

Homealonex2
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I have to say that Melatonin is a great thing!!  I use it sometimes but, both of my kids use it from time to time.  My dd (11) stays up late because she can't sleep it's a fight to get her to bed by 10.  When she uses Melatonin she can get to bed about 9.  We use it every other night.  My 6 year old with PDD has used a small dose since he was 3.  In the summer, vacations, weekend, we don't use it but, if they have to get up early it's needed.  Sleeping poblems run in my family. 

psych_mom
by Stacy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Too much melatonin can cause nightmares and have negative effects. I have to take it to help me get to sleep thanks to a medical issue and I have to be very careful.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

I need to add, my son was able to stay in a completely dark room and maybe get a half hour sleep and still stay on the honor roll. I should also add, he's has had insomnia

psych_mom
by Stacy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Melatonin is like anything else- there is an upside and a down side. I have noticed that melatonin with Vit B 6 in it works better (and I need a lower dose) than melatonin by itself. Electronics will interfere with sleeping- the light they give off interrupts the sleep cycle and can cause insomnia. It is best to turn them off a couple of hours before bedtime.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)