Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Instagram beauty contests

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM
  • 2 Replies
I don't allow my daughter to follow/be followed by anyone she doesn't know. She showed me an account that wanted to follow her because it wasn't an actual person she knew but it was something her friends from her school were all participating in. After looking at it I discovered it was a weekly beauty contest. You post of pic of yourself every week and the other people vote somehow. I told her not to follow it because 1.I had no idea who was running this account and 2. I don't think its right. This stuff worries me. I don't mind her having an instagram because she likes to share and express things that she likes with her friends and I think it is a good way to connect AS LONG as its used respectfully. But this I don't agree with and I'm glad DD has also decided that she wants no part in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
jandhmommy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM

No way!  #1 like you said, who knows who is running it.   #2 with the anonymity of the internet, people feel free to bash, put down and berate other people.  You hear of instances all the time where girls have posted pics on youtube, etc. to have people "rate" them; and get told horrible things.  I would not want my daughter to get any of her self-worth from what other people think of how she looks.  Bravo to your daughter for not wanting to participate.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

ugh....I just wish the only thing I had to worry about was zits.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)