Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do You Worry About Who Your Daughter Idolizes?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 4 Replies

List of Teen Girls’ Favorite Celebrities Will Shock You

Posted by Lindsay Mannering

tina feyMiley Cyrus. Britney Spears. Selena Gomez. The Kardashians. With stars like these earning most of the headlines, it's only natural to worry that our tween and teen daughters will spend their formative years idolizing women who aren't necessarily worthy of worship. But here's something that might calm you down -- a group of high school girls in a Chicago suburb started a feminist club and made a list of eight women in media whom they consider role models.

Here's whom these girls look up to. Spoiler alert: None of the aforementioned worrisome celebs made the cut.

1. Emma Stone
  2. Zoe Saldana
  3. Mindy Kaling
  4. Amy Poehler
  5. Tina Fey
  6. Tavi Gevinson (teen founder of Rookie)
  7. Zooey Deschanel
  8. Wanda Sykes

While we've been so worried that Miley's weight loss or Britney's meltdowns or Kim's life, in general, have been negatively influencing our daughters, truth is, our girls know what's up, and I'd argue that this group of teens in Illinois is not unique -- I'm sure plenty of teens around the nation realize that there are women who earn headlines and Twitter followers and bikini spreads, then there are women who make us laugh, start businesses, and make news for accomplishments, not nip slips.

In what might be the most positive sign for the future, maybe this is evidence that our teens are smarter than we give them credit for. They're attune to the difference between popularity and paragon, and though they might read the cover story on Miley's gluten-free marriage, they choose to soak in, wheat and all, the second to last page of the publication in which Tina talks about her unruly Greek eyebrows and what it means to run a goddamn TV show all the while, gasp, being a woman.

The list is inspiring. Not only are their role models smart and funny, but they're of all shapes and colors, too. Plus, none has ever had to explain to a judge that the white powder coming out of their shoes wasn't what everyone thought it was. Nor have they starred in a reality TV show.

Like Whitney, I believe the children are our future, and today, for once, I feel pretty good about it.

Do you worry about whom your teen idolizes?

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Homealonex2
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I really didn't worry about it till a few days ago.  She came home from school and told her dad and I that her bf and her were moving to Jersey Shores when she turns 18.  Boy that was a shock!!  We told her the only place she would be moving was a dorm room.  I really pray this is just an 11 year old being 11. 

TwinSoccerMom
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM

No.  At 14 our DD has never really "idolized" anyone.  She enjoys a lot of performers but is not obsessed with anyone.  Now her mother at that age was another story.  ;-)

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this

She likes Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato but she doesn't follow them too much.  I was a very proud (and honored) momma when she said that I was her role model.

bumNmoos_mom
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM

lol... omg... I would have flipped a wig.. haha

Quoting Homealonex2:

I really didn't worry about it till a few days ago.  She came home from school and told her dad and I that her bf and her were moving to Jersey Shores when she turns 18.  Boy that was a shock!!  We told her the only place she would be moving was a dorm room.  I really pray this is just an 11 year old being 11. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN