Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

What does "going out" mean in 6th grade?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 20 Replies

DD1 came home the other day to say a boy (who likes DD1) had a friend ask her if she would like to "go out" with him.  When she told me about this of course I flipped, thinking about all the stuff that happens after high school football games and college dorms.  Since I have calmed down, I asked her what she thought "going out" meant.  She said it just means they are friends. 

Then I asked other moms and they said holding hands, sitting together at lunch, hanging out together at recess.  Augh!  I am so not ready for this. I think I need therapy.  lol. 

So does your 6th grader "go out?"

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I have a 4th grader and so far she does not "go out".  I think I had my first "go out" friend when i was in 7th grade.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Yeah, that's common for this age.

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Seeing each other at school-and talking on the phone.

db1au
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Well with that definition, my daughters been going out since school started.  Lol.  She has a really good friend that's a boy, she says they are just friends, however she thinks he has a crush on her.  I am not ready for boy girl drama either.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I guess I could have answered more clearly. It's when one of them asks each other "out." If they both agree, then they're "going out." But at this age, they don't see each other outside of school. They may or may not hold hands when at school or sit together on the bus. Sometimes they talk on the phone or text each other outside of school, but the younger ages don't really do that yet. For 7th and 8th grade, they might start talking to each other more outside of school.

It's more like a label that the two agree upon, but it's usually pretty innocent still in 5th and 6th grade.

mamavalor
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Thank you HockeyMom for this thorough explanation.  I was a really late bloomer so by the time I felt I was mature enough to "go out" I was 24.  lol. 

Quoting Barabell:

I guess I could have answered more clearly. It's when one of them asks each other "out." If they both agree, then they're "going out." But at this age, they don't see each other outside of school. They may or may not hold hands when at school or sit together on the bus. Sometimes they talk on the phone or text each other outside of school, but the younger ages don't really do that yet. For 7th and 8th grade, they might start talking to each other more outside of school.

It's more like a label that the two agree upon, but it's usually pretty innocent still in 5th and 6th grade.

mamavalor
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM

That's sweet.  And it's going to happening whether we like it or not.  It's just that I prefer it to be later rather than sooner.

Quoting db1au:

Well with that definition, my daughters been going out since school started.  Lol.  She has a really good friend that's a boy, she says they are just friends, however she thinks he has a crush on her.  I am not ready for boy girl drama either.

mamavalor
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Sounds pretty innocent enough.

Quoting momto3infl:

Seeing each other at school-and talking on the phone.

AleaKat
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:06 PM
They don't.
That just means they call each other boyfriend and girlfriend and hang out at school alot. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamavalor
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I remember kids "going out" when I was in 6th grade.  Going to McDonald's after school was a big thing.  I wasn't interested so I guess I missed all the fun times of 6th grade. 

Quoting M4LG5:

I have a 4th grader and so far she does not "go out".  I think I had my first "go out" friend when i was in 7th grade.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)