Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Would You Consider Adopting An Older Child?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM
  • 11 Replies

Adopted 13-Year-Old's Mom Gives Him the Newborn Photo Shoot He Never Had

Posted by Jacqueline Burt

latrell higginsIf you don't think this is hands-down the sweetest story you've heard all week year, I'll ... never mind, you WILL think this is the sweetest story you've heard all ... ever. Even if it does start out borderline heartbreaking: See, 13-year-old Latrell Higgins was adopted two years ago by a family in Florida. That's not the heartbreaking part, of course. Because the adoption of an older foster child by a loving family is pure happiness. The sad part came later, one night during dinner when Latrell's mom, Kelli Higgins (a professional photographer), brought up an upcoming newborn photo shoot on her schedule. Latrell said, simply, that he wished he had photos of himself as a baby.

That gave Kelli's 12-year-old daughter an idea. An amazingly wonderful idea.

Why not "re-create" a newborn photo shoot for Latrell?

Why not, indeed? The resulting photos -- handsome young man Latrell in a variety of cute newborn poses -- are both adorable and hilarious. But most of all, they turned out to be incredibly powerful.

More from The Stir: Dad Whose Baby Was Adopted Without His Permission Deserves Custody (VIDEO)

After Kelli posted the photos on Facebook with the following caption, "Here's my sweet not so little newborn! His name is Latrell and weighs 112 lbs," the images went viral. In the best way possible:

"The one reaction that is really humbling and I'm really excited about is there have been a lot of parents that come to me telling me that they were thinking about adopting a baby, but after seeing those photos it's changed their minds and they want to adopt an older child," said Kelli.

(I told you this would be the sweetest story you've heard all ever.)

Not to mention inspiring. Kelli Higgins, you deserve an award. And a hug.

Would you consider adopting an older child?

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I absolutely love this. I posted this on my facebook. I work with former foster in college and from knowing them and the people that have worked with foster children, it is hard work and it takes a big person to take on a child that has probably gone through so much in their lives. Now, at the same time, yes I would but I don't know if I could do it while my own children are so young. Maybe when they are older, maybe when they are off to college. I don't know. For now, I will do my job the best I can and still help when I can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I would. My husband and I have been throwing around the idea of adopting an older child at some point....if we get to the point where we could afford another child. When we've bought up the idea in front of our son, he's very open to it. He only requested that the child isn't older than him.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Yes I would.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

finances keep me from adopting but If I had the money I would adopt a child in a heartbeat. If we were to adopt it would be an older child and not a baby.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM

I've thought about it. More seriously, I've been strongly considering doing foster care of older kids. There is such a need for it.

wenchmommy381
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I don't consider adoption for myself (not with 4 small children!), but applaud it in others. This is such an adorable story.

Dewinter
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:28 PM
2 moms liked this

We are only adopting girls ages 9 -13. My son leaves for college his year and my dd is 14 this May. So we decided that since we are getting preteen and teenagers ,one gender would be the best. We are doing a safe haven ranch for the girls we foster and wanting to adopt at least 3. The older our dd gets the higher in age we go. She is to be the "big sister".

Barabell
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I've thought about it. More seriously, I've been strongly considering doing foster care of older kids. There is such a need for it.

I think you would make a great foster parent. I wish that I could do it because of the need, but I don't think I'm cut out for it.

Barabell
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Quoting Msgme:

finances keep me from adopting but If I had the money I would adopt a child in a heartbeat. If we were to adopt it would be an older child and not a baby.

Same here, exactly. I'm really, truly our finances will improve within the next 5 years to allow us to be able to adopt an older child.

SuperLooneyMom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM
As much as I would want to I don't think I can. In more reasons than I can list it's just not meant for us. But god willing perhaps that will change
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN