Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Agree or disagree?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:49 PM
  • 6 Replies
I'm watching Oprah interview Beyonce and she is talking about the decision to drop her father as her manager.

Anyways, Oprah mentioned what she remembered about something someone said about parenthood: parents are managers of their children's lives but as they get older they become consultants (especially about 15-16 years old). Some parents have a hard time with this which causes problems.

Agree? Disagree?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
somuchlove4U
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:07 PM
I'm not sure. Something I'll think about.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
somuchlove4U
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM
I would have to disagree. I saw the book where Oprah got the quote from. It's a parenting book. In the description it tells parents to embrace the estrangement.
I'm sorry, but that's something I'm not willing to do. I don't consider myself a manager to my daughter. That, to me, says that I'm not close to my kid, I just parent from afar. I'm a mother! I will be her mother always and will only take the back seat when she has moved out of the house.
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I can agree to some extent.  When your kids are younger you are much more involved in making every decision for them and basically running their lives.  As they become older teens, you need to give them more independance and freedom.  You begin to let them make decisions on their own, while still offering them advice and support.

Barabell
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I agree that the parent-child relationship evolves over time, and that evolution is healthy. I'm sure if having a parent-child relationship that is stuck in the wrong stage for the child's age or development would cause issues, but I'm not sure if those exact words are correct or how I would describe the situation.

There are also aways outliers to the norm. Just because most kids need more independence at 15-16, it doesn't mean some other kids aren't ready yet.

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM
I agree with you.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I can agree to some extent.  When your kids are younger you are much more involved in making every decision for them and basically running their lives.  As they become older teens, you need to give them more independance and freedom.  You begin to let them make decisions on their own, while still offering them advice and support.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abuckalew
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM
For my personal situation I agree.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN