Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could it be almost that time???

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM
  • 8 Replies

My DD has just become a tween... But with it came alot of other unwelcomed things. She just started getting so mean, she is easily pissed off, she takes everything so personal, she lets one thing ruin her whole day and it goes on and on and on...

I do not know what to do with her new found temperment.  She also got asked out for the first time the other day, so now she has her first new bf.. I am not sure if her new attitude is hormonal or she is just being a brat.. Can anyone shed any light on this for me. I would hate to think that she is just become a mean child when she is the sweetest young lady i have ever seen. 

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
wenchmommy381
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

My tween is a boy, and he's not like that, and my daughter is only 4 months old....

But I was a HS teacher for 10 years. What you see of your daughter is the "at-home" version. Ask her teachers, coaches, etc. about her "out-of-the-home" behavior. If it's just as nasty, then you must act. If she's still as sweet as ever, take it as a compliment that she feels willing to push her limits with you: it means she's not scared of you or afraid of losing your love. But you do get to tell her that you will not tolerate it. 

wakymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:18 PM

It's most likely hormones. Ds1(13) got more emotional and got cranky much more easily starting around 8 1/2, and ds2(9) is shaping up to be the same way. Dd is only 7, so we haven't gotten to that point w/ her yet : )

Just make it clear that mean behavior, tantrums, and back talk will not be tolerated, and be consisent w/ punishment for it.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I agree with it possibly being hormones. My son was really moody when he turned 10, and he actually cried a couple times over things that normally wouldn't phase him at all.

I did talk to him about the hormones, and I explained just because he was feeling emotional that he did not need to be mean and unpleasant to all the people around him.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Barabell:

I agree with it possibly being hormones. My son was really moody when he turned 10, and he actually cried a couple times over things that normally wouldn't phase him at all.

I did talk to him about the hormones, and I explained just because he was feeling emotional that he did not need to be mean and unpleasant to all the people around him.

My daughter is 9 (to be 10 in July).  She'll get snippy...mostly with her dad....but I have found it to be worse when we engage with her.  When she gets like that, I stop her, lower my voice, make her look at me and tell her that her tone is making it very difficult for all of us.  If she wants to talk to us, we will listen.  If she wants to shout, have an attitude, or not change her tone....we won't listen and, in fact, it will get us more upset.  It's her choice.  Usually she shuts the attitude and stops talking. 

abuckalew
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM
My DS is the same way. Sometimes I wanna strangle him! We can be fine playing and joking one minute but as soon as its back to bing responsible all hell breaks loose. He cries like he's physically hurt. I know its hormonal but its annoying. I didn't think boys would be so difficult
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM

My 9 year old son actually had a temper tantrum over a video game over the weekend.  It was the first one he's had since he was 3 years old.  I chalk it up to hormones and sent him to his room to cool down for a little bit.

Amberrosesmom
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM

My DD is 11 and is very moody these days.  I would say hormonal.  One minute she wants to tell me all about her day and happy and lovey and the next she is irriatable and pouting or stomping away.  It has been pretty miserable lately. I am not looking forward to the upcoming years if this is how it is.  Good luck.  :) 

justahousewife
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:55 AM
My oldest dd just turned 11 in Dec. She's been balking a lot the last 6-9 months and last month started her period. She's still respectful and herself for the most part but I can tell when she's mad because she literally balks at her chores as if trying to convince herself not to do them. Lol

It's not the moody brat some girls turn into but if you knew her you'd see the difference. :-/ I'm no help. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)