Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

What kind of school is your tween in?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:51 AM
  • 22 Replies

My girls are in an upper elementary school building, where it houses all the 4th, 5th, and 6th graders in the district, ~1300 students in all.  There are always problems with the administration and teachers and rowdy children, starting its 5th principal one in 10 years.  DD1 is heading off to the MS next year and she's looking forward to it.  But then we just heard there is a new principal, assigned half way through the year.  Augh.

I grew up in a town where there were eight elementary schools that held students from K-8, ~ 900 students in the whole building.  It was nice.  Everyone got to know everyone else.  A vice principal was assigned to the 7th and 8th graders but he also helped oversee the whole school so it was one cohesive environment.  Not chopped up like the one here.

I would think handling a small group of tweens would be better than handling a massive amount.  What about you?

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NYCitymomx3
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:10 AM

My younger 2 kids homeschool(ed) through middle school (one is currently in 6th grade).  My oldest went to a prestigious, by-lottery-only school from 5th -7th grades.  The middle school goes from 5th-8th, but she chose to homeschool for 8th grade, then went to a public high school for journalism.  

TwinSoccerMom
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:27 AM

We live in a fairly small town where we have just 3 schools: Elementary with Pre-K to 4th grade, Middle with grades 5-8 and High School with grades 9-12.  Our kids are in 8th grade so they are in their last year of middle school.  The 5th and 6th grades are kept pretty seperate from the upper grades.  Each grade has their own "wing" of the school for classes and lockers and lunch hours are seperate.  The 5th and 6th grade go to lunch/recess at the same time but one grade goes to lunch first then recess and vice versa for the other grade. Same goes for 7th and 8th grade. Although 7th and 8th graders do have some classes together (gym, art, wood shop,etc.).

We have had very, very little turn over in administration and teachers over the years. We are lucky to have a wonderfully stable and supportive school system.

psych_mom
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:43 AM

My 10 year old is in elementary school with about 500 students and my 12 year old is in middle school with approximately 600 students. All of our middle schools have about 3 feeder elementary schools. In our county we have 5 or 6 county high schools that have an individual middle school and we have two city high schools. They start off with smaller groups and work them into larger groups. Most pre-ks are in private day cares instead of in elementary schools. All of our schools have at least 1 principle and vice principle. The high schools have 2-3 VPs. Elementary schools are grades K-5, MS 6-8 and HS 9-12. We also have several charter schools in our area as well that have different focuses.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM
We use a homeschool based Charter school. DD (10yo) only goes one day per week. DS (12 yo) goes to one class that is 2x a week and art and tutoring which are each once a week.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:35 AM
My oldest son goes to a public middle school. My tween (6th grader) goes to a boarding school. He was picked in a lottery. The school starts at 6th grade and goes to 12th grade. He comes home on the weekends, holidays, winter, spring, and summer break. My younger two sons go to a public elementary school.
Thelmama
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I grew up in a school where  K-12 was a total of 800 students..LOL.  Yeah, itsy bitsy.  Anyway my son is in 6th and goes to middle school 6-8th in it's own building.  My girls go to a different school which is elemetnary K-5th, probably 900 students and the Middle school about the same.

somuchlove4U
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM
We homeschool. We use home life academy.
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM

My son goes to a junior high. This year, it is 7th and 8th grade, but the school district is changing it so junior highs are 6-8th grade next year. There is about 200 kids in my son's 7th grade. The junior high is not our neighborhood school. My son attended a magnet elementary, and this junior high continues that magnet program.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM

We live in a big school district.  My girls are in an elementary school that is K-6 and about 700 kids. 

Delta.Dawn
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM

DS is in middle school 7th grade straight A student : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)