Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Chores and Allowance for tweens

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM
  • 11 Replies

What are your tweens chores and do what is their allowance, if any?

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:39 PM

No allowance.  We are a busy family so we expect everyone's help (evne our 6 year old twins) to help.  My kids are not asked to do a lot.  We mainly want them to pick up their stuff and put it away and do at least 1 of the three:  clean table, put dishes away, clean off bathroom counter.  This is almost everyday.  On Sundays (if we are home and have no plans), we do a checklist of home chores, put on Michael Jackson, and get it done together.  Each of them select something to do.

To earn money, we have implemented a reading reward.  For every 100 pages they read, they get $1.  She is a good reader but won't do it all the time unless she is asked.  Also, our twins really needed help with their reading in the beginnng of the school year.  Of course their 100 pages is going to different than her 100 pages but, in general, it equals out.  It's really improved their reading all around. 

Brit914
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Thats a good idea about the reading, probably wouldn't work in my house though as much as my girls like reading.  I would go broke, my house would be a mess and you might find the kids in the corners with their noses buried in a book under a pile of laundry. lol

bsuku
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM

DD gets $20 a month for allowance. She then has to buy "all " her own stuff. I buy clothes only for birthday, Christmas, and 2 outfits to start school. She is in charge of everything else. I do buy bras and undies for Easter, Valentines Day, and when school  starts. She has to budget everything else. This also includes lunch money since I am willing to pack it for free! 

In exchange for this she has to do her chores without whining or complaining! We don't ask her to do much. Each chore is done weekly and is paid $1 - if is doesn't get done, she doesn't get paid! She earns $5 a week for cleaning litter box, putting away her clothes, putting away the dishes 2 nights (counts as 2) and feed/water the cat. These are her work chores. She of course is expected to keep her room clean, pick up after herself as a family member. 

Morrigan333
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I've just asked DD if she'd like to do chores aand recieve allowance for it. She said yes. Getting her to do it..that's another story. We'll start in March. I say she has to pick up(clean) her own room and wherever she has left her things(LV, Dining room,etc) put them away in the proper place(not just thrown in a closet or under the bed). If I ask her to do some other small chore (sweep or vaccuum) she's expected to do that as well, she'll get $5 a week. If it works and she's doing it consistently andd well..I'll THINK about upping it.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM
In our house, their daily reward is Tv, computer, or video game at 7. It cannot be turned on until homework and chores are done. I've done this for two years and have had no issues. In fact, my oldest created a sign-in sheet when the person completed the chores so I can check it off. I have never paid them for chores and they do it when asked. I feel like there has to be an immediate reward because, as a friend of mine found, money sometimes doesn't seem.so important unless they get it right then. Her kids stopped doing it until.Saturdays when money for chores were given. If it works for you....great!!!! I feel I just can't do it when we are such a busy family that we all need to chip in.

Quoting Morrigan333:

I've just asked DD if she'd like to do chores aand recieve allowance for it. She said yes. Getting her to do it..that's another story. We'll start in March. I say she has to pick up(clean) her own room and wherever she has left her things(LV, Dining room,etc) put them away in the proper place(not just thrown in a closet or under the bed). If I ask her to do some other small chore (sweep or vaccuum) she's expected to do that as well, she'll get $5 a week. If it works and she's doing it consistently andd well..I'll THINK about upping it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justahousewife
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM
My 11yo has a short list of chores: evening farm chores (9 months of the year that includes milking the goats and bottle feeding babies), set dinner table, clear and wash dinner dishes, fold/put away her and lo's laundry. She doesn't get an allowance but if I ask something extra of her I pay her $.50-$3 per request.

I don't make her pay for any extras and I tend to give her a budget for books and whatnots every year so she doesn't need money and tends to save it all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HoosierMom2JB
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:33 PM

DD11's chores are loading and unloading dishwasher, cleaning off the table after dinner and sweeping kitchen. along with her responsibilities to clean her room, pick up after herself and do her own laundry. She gets paid $20 a week.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:30 PM
We do chores and responsibilities.

Chores are things I consider my job as a SAHM and pay them for, up to $7 a week. If I have to remind you, you don't be paid. Divided between the three kids is cleaning the bathroom, cat litter, dog door, feeding the dog, vacuuming, loading/unloading the dishwasher, etc.

Responsibilities I do not pay for are things everyone does as part of the family. Everyone picks up their own stuff, helps set/ clear the table, everyone helps grocery shop/ carry/ put away, everyone sorts and puts away their own laundry (I run it through the machines and fold).

This works well for us. The kids also know there is no going out or having friends over unless chores are done.
Hottmomma607
SOA tonight!!
Today at 10:00 AM
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM

$10 every 2weeks. Room&help clean the bathroon he shares with his sister.

TheartAH
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM
8 yr dd has to feed and water pets as needed, pick up sticks/ poop from yard weekly, clean room, help set up for dinner, help bring in/ put away groceries and put her own laundry away. She gets paid for the yard work if completed properly. She gets extra chores added on as a punishment for poor behavior if need be. Her allowance comes mostly from grades though. School is her job right now so we pay her 5$ for every A she brings home on her report card.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)