Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

The dirty tween

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM
  • 14 Replies

My daughter, 10, has issues with showering.  It is a fight to get her to clean up and on many occasions I have had to make her get back in the shower to wash her hair because it is mostly dry when she gets out.  I am not sure why she has such resistance to good hygiene. I am afraid as she grows older and starts progressing further into puberty she will have a funk.  Sometimes all I can come up with is " Don't be the stinky kid!"  Anyone else have a resistant washer!?

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Has she read American girl care and keeping of you? Maybe reading it from a book will be better than just hearing it from you. My tween and I read it together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd says she doesn't like to take showers because "it's boring". I told her that life isn't one big party and to get used to it. lol!!! We have read the book care and keeping of you, and it helped a little.

What kills us is she can give us a hard time to get in the shower. And then she'll take for ever in the shower and use up all the hot water. lol! Tweens there's no understanding them!

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep! My 12 year old DS. For the life of me I don't understand it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I am always tossing my boys back into the shower to wash their hair. They have no issues getting clean, except the hair.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyto3bees
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

no crap , same here... she is lazy and wont do it on her own and never remembers ugg!! i keep telling her people dont want ot be friend with stinky people! sad but true!

kidsndaburgh
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Yes we do have that book. I got it for her a few years ago.  I think her hormones are starting to kick in and she just is resistant to lots of things and cries at the drop of a dime lately.  Hopefully we can get over this hurdle about hygiene. But I know more challenges are waiting for her and me!

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Quoting kidsndaburgh:

Yes we do have that book. I got it for her a few years ago.  I think her hormones are starting to kick in and she just is resistant to lots of things and cries at the drop of a dime lately.  Hopefully we can get over this hurdle about hygiene. But I know more challenges are waiting for her and me!

Have you revisted it since then? 

Maybe make a schedule for her to shower.  She isn't allowed to do something she likes to do (i.e. watch TV, play games, etc) until she takes a shower.  I don't know....just trying to help.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Ugg- I need to get the Care and Keeping book - DD and I haven't had the talk yet. We've had small conversations about things but not in much detail. She's just about to turn 10.

Emeraldmama7
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Yup, my kids think it's "boring" too.  Only my 7 yr old ds needs to re-shower at times.

Jessa, mama to:

Alyssa(11), Autumn(10), Mariah(9), Matthew(9), Blake(7), Laila(3), and Athena born 9/14!!!

mbrowne1
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:48 PM

That is so my son! He hates being clean and I just don't get it. Glad to know we're not the only ones dealing with this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)